cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Noisy phone? Here's a thing to check.

Submitted by Old Tom 19-02-2020 | 5 Comments

This suggested fix should be added to the list of actions that the Helpline people should ask when someone reports a noisy phone line but still have a perfect internet/broadband connction.

Q:  Is the power to your phone coming via an extension power lead?  Swap it with another one or plug straight into the wall socket.

I've just spent 20 mins with an OpenReach engineer trying to work out why my phone line was noisy.  All checks passed clear but we still had problems even with a replacement phone.  As I am an ex computer comms engineer we both understood this was a weird problem until we decided (in desperation) to remove the power lead and plug the phone into the wall,

Result:   Problem solved.

Lots of devices need pwoer so there are many multi plug extension leads out there so I think this suggestion might be useful

Tom  

Get more ideas related to: Phone

0 Likes

Noisy phone? Here's a thing to check.

This suggested fix should be added to the list of actions that the Helpline people should ask when someone reports a noisy phone line but still have a perfect internet/broadband connction.

Q:  Is the power to your phone coming via an extension power lead?  Swap it with another one or plug straight into the wall socket.

I've just spent 20 mins with an OpenReach engineer trying to work out why my phone line was noisy.  All checks passed clear but we still had problems even with a replacement phone.  As I am an ex computer comms engineer we both understood this was a weird problem until we decided (in desperation) to remove the power lead and plug the phone into the wall,

Result:   Problem solved.

Lots of devices need pwoer so there are many multi plug extension leads out there so I think this suggestion might be useful

Tom  

What do you think?
5 Comments
Community Star

A very nice suggestion Tom - but one of the checks on the troubleshooting list is to test at the Master Socket Test socket using a standard corded phone that is powered only from the incoming 'phone line. See Steps 3 and 4 in the Fix it - Noisy 'phone line - Help page.

Conversation Starter

Yes, but what happens if the customer hasn't got a spare (non-powered) phone (like me)?  Then what do you do??  When I called the Helpline (or Chatline), not once did anyone point me in the direction of a phone being powered by an extension lead.  I've had several problems recently that have caused me to call the helpline and followed all their instructions but mentioning the power supply to the phone was never mentioned!  (The previous outages where caused by corrosion in the roadside green cabinet).

I am just suggesting that before your Helpdesk people take a customer through all the faff of using test sockets etc. that the first question should be:

Is your phone on an extension power lead?  If so, try it without.

It might just reduce your call outs.

Tom

Community Star

I take your point Tom. The advice article covers the steps that TalkTalk would like customers to take before even getting in touch with TalkTalk. This advice would identify a faulty handset or its power supply. But, as you say, what if you don't have a corded handset to test with. So here's some add-on free advice from me, Gondola. Google search for Gondola phone. Available on next day delivery for less than a tenner! 

Conversation Starter

Sneaky, but I like it Gondola 🙂

Community Team - TT Staff
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comment, as Gondola says we do ask customers to test at the test socket with a corded handset if possible but I see your point that not all customers have one. The fact that the Openreach engineer didn't bypass the extension lead earlier suggests that it's not a very common cause of noise and not something that they generally check. 

Funny enough I often ask customer experiencing problems with the Internet connection to connect the router directly to the wall socket bypassing any electrical extension lead, but hadn't really thought of it affect telephone service

Chris