Need help?

Offer a phone line with FTTP

Submitted by bedders 08-01-2021 | 5 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Openreach have been working down our street and I can now get fibre to the premises. I checked my postcode on Talktalk and they are offering it, but without a phone line.

We don't have a great mobile signal at home, so a phone line is a necessity.

Can you please offer both?

Get more ideas related to: Broadband Phone

Offer a phone line with FTTP

Openreach have been working down our street and I can now get fibre to the premises. I checked my postcode on Talktalk and they are offering it, but without a phone line.

We don't have a great mobile signal at home, so a phone line is a necessity.

Can you please offer both?

What do you think?
5 Comments
ferguson
Community Star

Get a VOIP service, that will be how it all works in the future.

bedders
Conversation Starter

Thanks for your comment.

The question to the powers that be: Why don't Talktalk offer that as part of the package, for those who want it?

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

Have a look at Sipgate, lost cost service, easy to setup. There are lots of alternative options.

BT have spent a huge amount of money and charge 20p a min for their VOIP service.

I don't believe TalkTalk have the infrastructure to implement this at the moment.

ferguson
Community Star

@JamesHappy This is going to be the next big rip-off. If you have a VOIP service from a third-party service then fair enough. But from your own ISP, what are the costs involved there exactly after the infrastructure has been upgraded? Maybe customers will abandon these as they are doing with current landlines and rely on the likes of FaceTime, WhatsApp etc. over and above their mobiles. Save for maybe the older and others less savvy. The vulnerable and less well-informed always get exploited the most. 

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor

@ferguson I would tend to agree. I have used VOIP for 10 years with mixed success. Much better these days.
One has to only look at comments like this 
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/clearing-up-confusion-over-the-bt-fttp-digital-voice-t...

there are many other links but this is another example

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/bt-voip-2020-3456932

I like VOIP as it provides a low cost flexible mobile alternative to fixed lines. I work part time for a couple employers and volunteer and have separate lines for each. It allows me to sperate work and home and I also use my mobile a lot.