Need help?

Offer option of ‘Bridge Mode’ or Modem instead of Wifi Hub

Submitted by speedygonzalez 09-09-2020 | 3 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

For customers with their own Routers please can you look at enabling the bridge mode on the Wifi Hub or maybe offer an option of a modem instead of a Wifi Hub. 

The lack of modem or bridge mode forces customers to buy a new modem or VDSL router with bridge mode support. 

I would really like to understand why this feature has been removed /disabled. 

Thank You. 

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

Offer option of ‘Bridge Mode’ or Modem instead of Wifi Hub

For customers with their own Routers please can you look at enabling the bridge mode on the Wifi Hub or maybe offer an option of a modem instead of a Wifi Hub. 

The lack of modem or bridge mode forces customers to buy a new modem or VDSL router with bridge mode support. 

I would really like to understand why this feature has been removed /disabled. 

Thank You. 

What do you think?
3 Comments
Philosopher

@speedygonzalez might be down to security reasons and also they like u to have there kit as it is made to work on their network better 

Whizz Kid

I don't see this as a security issue, TalkTalk allow 3rd Party Routers and Modems on their broadband and fibre networks.   The WAN link is fully under the control of TalkTalk, anything after that  (LAN/WLAN) is the customers responsilibity.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383 

The question I am asking is simply why the 'TalkTalk Wifi Hub has bridge mode disabled/removed? '

Offering this on the Wifi Hub would make life a lots simpler, for those  who want to use thier own router:

• this may be just different router
  • a mesh wifi system
  • advanced networking stack (Router,Switches and Access Points).  

What is required is  the Wifi Hub in Bridged Mode to provide a public IP address to the customers router.  Instead they end up with a private LAN address to the routers WAN interface, and duplicated services across two routers.

I have seen mulitple questions on community pageson this subject.

Most users with this requirement are forced to purchase a new modem or router. 

If any  Product Managers could respond be appreciated.

Philosopher

Might be a wait as no staff have replied on idea side for months