cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pay up front for the whole contract period

Submitted by Chris-K 21-05-2018 | 9 Comments

Had this idea 10 years ago, and actually suggested it to talk talk when my dad helped me fit my new kitchen, and he didn't want any money, but he had no internet, so I wanted to repay him with 12 months internet access. Sorted him out with an account with talk talk which he was really chuffed with. Any how, the idea is simple. Allow customers to pay upfront for a whole broadband contract period, whether it be 12 months or even 18 months in exchange for zero price increase over the contract. Provider benefits for the upfront fee and commitment, customer benefits from no price hike for 18 months

Get more ideas related to: Billing

Pay up front for the whole contract period

Had this idea 10 years ago, and actually suggested it to talk talk when my dad helped me fit my new kitchen, and he didn't want any money, but he had no internet, so I wanted to repay him with 12 months internet access. Sorted him out with an account with talk talk which he was really chuffed with. Any how, the idea is simple. Allow customers to pay upfront for a whole broadband contract period, whether it be 12 months or even 18 months in exchange for zero price increase over the contract. Provider benefits for the upfront fee and commitment, customer benefits from no price hike for 18 months

What do you think?
9 Comments
Community Star

The current TalkTalk low fixed price plans are even better then.  There's no price increase guaranteed, even though you pay monthly, and if you see a lower price offered anytime after the first month you're not locked in and you can switch to a lower, fixed price, no increase guaranteed contract.

Conversation Starter

Not really - What I forgot to include in my rush to go out was a bit of a discount for paying upfront, and neither party have the same commitment on a "month 2 month" contract as an 18 contract paid upfront, and whillst TT may promise no price increases, they, (like all media companies) have a clause to let them increase prices if the business has a need. There is an EROOOOOOOOMOUS advantage in banking 18 months up front over month to month. I mentioned this to TT10 years ago and I can guarantee that at least one of the media companies will do this within the next 12 mmonths and that in turn will cause the others to quickly follow in the next 24 months. TT fixed price contract is a step towards but it wont be consistent and doesnt iradicate this price hike clause that alllllllllllllllllll media companies have been exploiting for the last 10 years

Community Star

You don't believe that a TalkTalk guarantee of a fixed price for the duration of a contract is binding then? Where is this clause you quote citing business need? Not in any TalkTalk legal documents. VAT rises excepted, other ISP's that raise prices mid-contract have to allow customers to exit the contract without penalty. That's the OFCOM rule. The TalkTalk Fixed Low Price Plan is still unique in not raising prices mid-contract. But back to your idea. You'd like an extra discount for paying up front, just like Value Line Rental. Now if you'd said that at the start!

Conversation Starter

Nope. Not exactly sure of the legal jargon but allllllll media companies have negotiated the right (circumvented the natural law) to hike prices mid contract whilst STILL binding the customer. There are conditions inI not sure of, maybe a maximum of 10% and maybe they have they have to prove some business need. Clearly companies should not be allowed to engage in lengthy contract they cannot honour however, that's the conditions they've managed to negotiate around. It kicked in round about 5 years ago and affected all media companies including such as phone contracts that are typically between 12 and 24 months long. Hence why TalkTalk offer a FIXED PRICE because they simply do not have to although that said, I'm sure they'll try their best to honour it

Community Star

Well the idea of an extra discount for paying in advance was a commendable idea.  As for TalkTalk imposing price rises on FLPP contracts they're simply not allowed to. A contract is a contract and a guarantee is a guarantee. There's no warning clause in Customer T&C's to allow prices rises.  If ISP and Mobile companies want to impose mid-term price rises in line with RPI and still lock their customers to contracts they must put a warning in T&C's.  That's the OFCOM rule. 

Conversation Starter

I can only say it was about 5 years ago that all media companies (the very companies that were handing out these massive contracts to which they couldn't stick to) were given latitude to increase price mid contract without breaching the contract and at the same time adhering the customer to the contract. I've never seen it as part of t&c but I have been subject to it twice (Virgin Media and one of the phone companies) I thought everybody knew about it. I've written extensive posts suggesting that this rule should be retracted and that a contract should be a contract. Like I said I assume that there are some terms and conditions that they have to adhere to maybe a maximum price hike and the maybe have to prove needs a business I just know that it is a rule and it's a card they can play at any time and I've never seen it in any terms and conditions.

Community Star

You're a TalkTalk customer so forget your extensive posts about mid-contract broadband price-hikes. New broadband contracts here are guaranteed no price rises from beginning to end. 

Community Star

Hardly a new idea. Many providers, including TalkTalk, offered a discounted price for line rental up front over a period of time. But ever since "free" broadband deals have been outlawed and line rental has to be included in the base price this particular marketing ploy no longer exists.

Community Team
Status changed to: Unable to Deliver

@Chris-K Thanks for the suggestion, however this is not a service that we currently offer.