cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Price Hikes should not be allowed in the middle of a contract!!!

Submitted by DaisyDelus 19-03-2021 | 29 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

I am absolutely appalled that i have found an email delivered to my inbox from TalkTalk saying they are hiking the price for Broadband in the middle of an 18 month contract. This is an absolute disgrace. Shame on you TalkTalk. This is utter disrespect to their loyal customers. When you enter into agreement it is your duty to honour and abide with the terms and conditions which ALL customers are expected to do. If we breech a contract YOU punish us with charges. We are not allowed a one months notice rule. One rule for one and a different one for another. No mutual agreement at all. This should be rectified immediately and the CEO should rescind this ridiculous price Hike until after the end of a contract. One months notice is unacceptable. Customers should be treated better than this. Where is your Honour!!!

Get more ideas related to: Billing Broadband

Price Hikes should not be allowed in the middle of a contract!!!

I am absolutely appalled that i have found an email delivered to my inbox from TalkTalk saying they are hiking the price for Broadband in the middle of an 18 month contract. This is an absolute disgrace. Shame on you TalkTalk. This is utter disrespect to their loyal customers. When you enter into agreement it is your duty to honour and abide with the terms and conditions which ALL customers are expected to do. If we breech a contract YOU punish us with charges. We are not allowed a one months notice rule. One rule for one and a different one for another. No mutual agreement at all. This should be rectified immediately and the CEO should rescind this ridiculous price Hike until after the end of a contract. One months notice is unacceptable. Customers should be treated better than this. Where is your Honour!!!

What do you think?
29 Comments
rdferguson99
Visitor

Just logged the same question

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

@DaisyDelus & @rdferguson99, many of us feel that there's something really distasteful about calling a product "fixed price" (which, to most minds, implies that it is protected from the possibility of a price rise happening during the minimum term) and then breaking this promise at any time, let alone at short notice.

However, there's a clause in the terms and conditions that allows the firm to override the agreement (see paragraph 16) and, as long as customers are given 30 days' notice, the company is legally allowed to do this.

You can leave without penalty under these circumstances  - just make sure that you let Talktalk know, and then they have to waive the early termination fees that are triggered. 

It could well be at a time when it's not convenient for you to change package or provider. It might be that you are not in an area where Talktalk can even provide Fibre, so no immediate sign of any of the improvements to your service that you would hope to benefit from as a result of a price increase.

The CEO wrote to us all last September to reassure us that we could continue to "manage your outgoings with the guarantee of no mid-contract broadband price rises, so you'll only ever pay the price you signed up to".

So to have this about-turn leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Many people have harnessed the anger into haggling a better deal, if it's simply too inconvenient to change provider. It really is worth your while organising your thoughts and phoning 03451 720046 or using Chat to put your point of view to them.

Scroll down on this page for the link to Chat:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

There may be initial resistance while the script comes back about the reasons which they consider justify the increase. Persist. 

It may at least result in a credit being applied to your account to offset the immediate price rise. 

Keep a copy of everything and make a note of the time and name of the agent you speak to. 

You can't do cancellations or renewals or haggling about your contract through the forum, but community staff can check that whatever you decided on has been implemented correctly. 

Noband
Team Player

wanted to echo the previous comments.

talktalk broke all trust with these mid contract price rises, once my contract is up will be moving elsewhere.

they broke my trust for ten pounds extra over the remainder of my contract, would have renewed otherwise.

ferguson
Community Star

"Price Hikes" mid-contract have long been around. Ofcom introduced regulations some years back that requires providers to give a minimum of 30 days' notice if they do so with the option to leave without penalty. The "Idea" perhaps might be why contracts are so one-sided and better addressed to other than one of the providers who make these changes. 

Noband
Team Player

allowed yes, but talktalk long sold the promise of no mid contract price rises

ferguson
Community Star

Yes. And then reneged on that. A somewhat different and in my view appalling thing to do, but perfectly permissible under all regulatory terms. So TalkTalk are the culprit, but the regulators are not fit for purpose. In my humble, personal opinion, obviously. 

Michelle48

I have been billed for £169.00 this month I am trying to call talk talk but not open ?? It’s not my phone line as I don’t have one connected!! What is going on ?? I would like my money back. My bill say £46 and I used to pay £22 what has this happened can someone get back to me! 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

@Michelle48, no, you can't get through on phone lines / Chat  before 9am. 

For the link to Chat, scroll down on this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

You can also find full details of opening hours on there.

If you need further help on the forum, ensure that your community forum profile details are complete: go via your avatar/name; settings; Profile Wizard. 

And you need to post for help in the "help with your Talktalk service" area. 

Go via the yellow browse button and choose the Account and Billing from the help area, then Start a Topic. 

ossie72
First Timer

They are a bunch of crooks. I signed up to a contract when they stated:  

"Fixed Prices Absolutely no mid-contract broadband price rises. Guaranteed" but now they have given notice that at the end of the month they'll apply a price increase.

So I did an online chat to protest at this shoddy treatment and gave notice to exit the contract as they have altered the terms mid contract. I was assured there would be no termination fees. A couple of hours later I get an email stating early exit fees £67.41.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

@ossie72, Talktalk has not organised its software to prevent early termination fees being triggered by you leaving. It's given several customers rather a fright. 

As long as you have told them that you are leaving because of the price rise you should be fine.

Any further worries, please post in the "help with your Talktalk service" area under "Your Account and Billing". Go to the message board and click on start a topic. 

It can take a few days to get a response from staff, but they will check that everything is as it should be for you.