Need help?

Reduce electronic waste - reusing broadband routers when changing providers

Submitted by rajeshk4u 08-06-2019 | 2 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

I joined TalkTalk when they launched. For a variety of reasons, I have decided to leave TalkTalk.

I already have a Huavei router supplied by TalkTalk. So why I can't I re-use that with my new provider?

I am sure there are customers switching to TalkTalk from other providers.

Why can't the likes of TalkTalk, Sky, Plusnet, Now, EE etc... get together and find a way of supporting each other's modem. May be have a common standard.

The Huawei router, has a TalkTalk logo when I log into admin, but why cant they make equipment generic?

(They should also let people use their own equipment)

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

0 Likes

Reduce electronic waste - reusing broadband routers when changing providers

I joined TalkTalk when they launched. For a variety of reasons, I have decided to leave TalkTalk.

I already have a Huavei router supplied by TalkTalk. So why I can't I re-use that with my new provider?

I am sure there are customers switching to TalkTalk from other providers.

Why can't the likes of TalkTalk, Sky, Plusnet, Now, EE etc... get together and find a way of supporting each other's modem. May be have a common standard.

The Huawei router, has a TalkTalk logo when I log into admin, but why cant they make equipment generic?

(They should also let people use their own equipment)

What do you think?
2 Comments
Sightseer

You can reuse any router with any internet provider, you can even use your own.

It will mean that the router needs programming to work with the new provider but that is not very difficult.

For ease of frustration to customers (ie plug and go), internet companies supply pre-programmed routers to their own specifications.

Routers get updated regularly as with most technology and the fact that you will have had one for a few years will probably mean that your speeds will benefit by updating the equipment anyway.

Insightful One

@rajeshk4u Hi if they did let people use there own equipment then that is where the router can have issue as i think different companies have different set up on the system side so different routers are need.

i have used belkin before but found having the better more new talktalk router are better more set up and easy to get help when there is a problem