Need help?

Returning Equipment

Submitted by Lindy3 06-04-2021 | 5 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

I've been a Talktalk customer for ten years plus and two weeks ago switched to Talktalks  18month Fibre 35 contract. I had read reviews that said the Wi-Fi hub was better than my old super router and the person I took the contract out with agreed to send me one, which they did.

I also received a returns bag to return my YouView box and a few days later a reminder letter saying I would be charged if I didn't return it.

My understanding is that my router and YouView box are mine to keep at the end of contract and I have just spent a frustrating phone call to Talktalk trying to get this point across. The phone adviser said I was sent the YouView bag and letter by mistake and they actually want my old router back. I explained that I need to keep it as backup as I am having problems with browsers on my PC using the new Hub but was told I will be charged.

Has anyone had a similar experience and can confirm that the equipment is in fact mine to keep at the end of the contract. Thanks

Get more ideas related to: Other

0 Likes

Returning Equipment

I've been a Talktalk customer for ten years plus and two weeks ago switched to Talktalks  18month Fibre 35 contract. I had read reviews that said the Wi-Fi hub was better than my old super router and the person I took the contract out with agreed to send me one, which they did.

I also received a returns bag to return my YouView box and a few days later a reminder letter saying I would be charged if I didn't return it.

My understanding is that my router and YouView box are mine to keep at the end of contract and I have just spent a frustrating phone call to Talktalk trying to get this point across. The phone adviser said I was sent the YouView bag and letter by mistake and they actually want my old router back. I explained that I need to keep it as backup as I am having problems with browsers on my PC using the new Hub but was told I will be charged.

Has anyone had a similar experience and can confirm that the equipment is in fact mine to keep at the end of the contract. Thanks

What do you think?
5 Comments
Gondola
Community Star

T&C's of 1 Mar 2021 section 7.2 indicate that the first supplied router and TV Box are owned by the customer. You'll recall that T&C's prior to 2019 indicated that all equipment would be owned by TalkTalk and that you may be asked to return it. Any replacement equipment is owned by TalkTalk so if either router or TV Box are not the original supplied at the start of a service (that's not the start of each new term or renewed contract) i.e. I'd expect a Super Router would have been a replacement for an original that you now own, then at some agreed point the Super Router should be returned as should the Wi-Fi Hub when the service for which it is provided is ceased.  In essence, TalkTalk is being proactive at ensuring equipment is environmentally recycled. Environmental Policy

hosay299
Philosopher

@Gondola interesting reading but can i ask is that for new contracts taken out after the new t&c date so now it is the  1 Mar 2021 section 7.2 indicate that the first supplied router and TV Box are owned by the customer. so  does that mean my new contract or a change in the t&c allow current contracts to be the same ??

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

That part of the Ts&Cs didn't change on 1st March 2021, @hosay299.

This is from a pdf file copy prior to that date, so my old version doesn't show the altered wording in clause 16 or the inflation linked increases in 9.2, but definitely shows this for clause 7:

7 EQUIPMENT PROVIDED BY US
7.1 To receive a service you may need to use certain necessary equipment provided by us and this
may include a router or a set top box.
7.2 All such necessary equipment will be owned by us apart from the following equipment which
you will own:
(a) any router and/or set top box that we send you as part of a new service with us; and
(b) any equipment that you have paid for.
If we choose to replace your router or set top box outside of any warranty period (which is
usually 12 months) without charging you for it, we’ll own such replacement equipment, unless
we agree otherwise.

So that has been in place previous to the recent changes.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Joe

New Terms & Conditions (T&C) replace previous T&C unless otherwise stated. It doesn't matter when a contract or any renewal of that contract started, the customer just needs to refer to the current T&C and apply those to the current contract.

Prior to 2019 all equipment supplied by TalkTalk may have been required to be returned at the cessation of the contract. Now, it's replacement equipment supplied since the start of the contract that may be required to be returned at the cessation of the contract. 

hosay299
Philosopher

@Gondola ok thanks