cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Scam Calls - Who is monitoring activity and how?

Submitted by AndyofLee 14-09-2019 | 4 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Here's an interesting observation that the techie guys and CIO should look into.  We receive three or four fake ID scam calls every week on our landline.  I report each one.  Nothing ever changes, and over a few years I have only received a couple of notes that a number has been blocked.  One assumes that nothing is ever being done therefore.  Why is that?  

Well, we went on holiday for five weeks, and guess what?  During  that time NOT ONE scam call came in.  I have a call log on my phone and there were other missed calls, but none from scammers.  Is this just coincidence or might it just possibly indicate that somewhere INSIDE TalkTalk information about lines in use is being leaked to the scammers?  Why would scammers stop calling unless they somehow knew the line was inactive.  As soon as we return the scam calls start again!

Come on TalkTalk, begin doing something with all the information at your fingertips and fix this problem.  CallSafe is no good for many people, so is not a solution.  One also assume that in the future when you have enough people using it you will begin charging like you have for other originally free services!

Andy of Lee

Get more ideas related to: Beat the scammers

Scam Calls - Who is monitoring activity and how?

Here's an interesting observation that the techie guys and CIO should look into.  We receive three or four fake ID scam calls every week on our landline.  I report each one.  Nothing ever changes, and over a few years I have only received a couple of notes that a number has been blocked.  One assumes that nothing is ever being done therefore.  Why is that?  

Well, we went on holiday for five weeks, and guess what?  During  that time NOT ONE scam call came in.  I have a call log on my phone and there were other missed calls, but none from scammers.  Is this just coincidence or might it just possibly indicate that somewhere INSIDE TalkTalk information about lines in use is being leaked to the scammers?  Why would scammers stop calling unless they somehow knew the line was inactive.  As soon as we return the scam calls start again!

Come on TalkTalk, begin doing something with all the information at your fingertips and fix this problem.  CallSafe is no good for many people, so is not a solution.  One also assume that in the future when you have enough people using it you will begin charging like you have for other originally free services!

Andy of Lee

What do you think?
4 Comments
Conversation Starter

Just to add my views not noticed scams stopping when on holiday BUT everytime I speak to talktalk on the phone or live chat 2-3 days later the scam calls start and go on daily for up to two weeks.

Just my comments but there is a pattern!!

Community Team
Status changed to: New

Hi AndyofLee, thanks for your comments and for reporting the scam calls. I can assure you we do use the information provided via Check and Report to block scam callers.

I can only see this being and coincidence, I can't see how the scammers would know that householder is on holiday or why they would go to the trouble of finding out when all they have to do is call the number and move on if there's no answer

From personal experience scam calls do tend to come in cycles, we get a number of calls over a few days/weeks and then we can receive few if any for a while

Wizz Kid

I think that what I was trying to suggest that perhaps there is a leak of data from within the TalkTalk network that scammers are utilising to see what lines are currently active.  Some things I would like to see is for all caller ID's to be verified as genuine by the network operators.  Much, much faster blocking of scammers.  An escalating compensation scheme to all TT customers that get calls as the scammers have our account information that was let loose by TT.  Finally, set up some honeypots, or ask genuine customers to participate - so that you can log and trace live calls back to the source using the technology you have in the network.  

First Timer

We may get the same recorded message on the phone (same voice), but with various tel. nos.  How are these scammers able to set up lines, that look as if they are from within the UK?