Need help?

Scam call network blocking

Submitted by Antzattalk 08-03-2018 | 15 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 4 of 4

Why is reporting scam call numbers behind the community login? Why not put this front of house under talktalk account login?!!! You would get a far bigger response! You could also share this database with other network providers. This isn't difficult!!!

When call numbers are reported they should be blocked on the network as soon as possible to prevent these numbers carrying on and scamming other talktalk users.

These scammers are often armed with enough account details to con the unsuspecting account holder. They have names, addresses and account numbers and know you are a talktalk customer!!!

While talktalk can't be expected to take any action against these often foreign originating numbers, by consistently blocking these numbers, the originator will be continually forced to apply for new numbers, which will highlight them to their own carrier. This would hopefully lead to them being identified and action taken by the originators network or at the very least, slow them down a lot.

Get more ideas related to: Beat the scammers

Scam call network blocking

Why is reporting scam call numbers behind the community login? Why not put this front of house under talktalk account login?!!! You would get a far bigger response! You could also share this database with other network providers. This isn't difficult!!!

When call numbers are reported they should be blocked on the network as soon as possible to prevent these numbers carrying on and scamming other talktalk users.

These scammers are often armed with enough account details to con the unsuspecting account holder. They have names, addresses and account numbers and know you are a talktalk customer!!!

While talktalk can't be expected to take any action against these often foreign originating numbers, by consistently blocking these numbers, the originator will be continually forced to apply for new numbers, which will highlight them to their own carrier. This would hopefully lead to them being identified and action taken by the originators network or at the very least, slow them down a lot.

What do you think?
15 Comments
Super Duper Contributor

You don't have to be logged onto the Forum to report a scam call; you can do it from the Talktalk home page.

go to www.talktalk.co.uk

click on Help (top right)

click on "Beat the Scammers"

You then have several options to Check/Report etc scam calls

Of course it would be better if the "Beat the Scammers" button was on the Home page and not hidden under Help.

Sightseer

I know this but if our phone numbers were not published on the internet by Ofcom who get the numbers of TalkTalk in the first place we would not have this problem 

Sightseer

If TalkTalk didn't pass our numbers onto Ofcom to publish on the internet in the first place we wouldn't have half this grief

Super Duper Contributor

How do you know:

1. TT are passing our numbers to Ofcom?

2. Ofcom are publishing our numbers on the Internet?

3. Where is your evidence?

Sightseer

Hi,I have an open complaint with talk talk because of it I got a call telling me my broadband was going to be disconnected if I didn't pay the bill when I rung them I was put through to a manager who told me  numbers were passed to ofcom who publish list online even though I am ex directory .they are ringing me Thursday night to discuss my complaint ,if you want the number I will let you have it just ask them for yourself. Thanks kev

Super Duper Contributor

Sounds like "fake news" to me. I can't find any list of numbers on the Ofcom website.

If you think Ofcom is misusing your personal data you can always complain to the Information Commissioner who is responsible for Data Protection.

First Timer

If you had a talktalk account a few years ago, then it is likely that your phone number and account details were all hacked  and have been doing the rounds of various no gooders ever since. That's how most of the scam calls already know you are a talktalk customer, your account number and your address (This was all very public). Call Safe is a little bit inconvienient, but seems to do the trick in stopping these calls and now caller display is free, you can see if numbers have a foreign origin. Trouble is some of these foreign calls seem to reroute through UK numbers. Not sure what Ofcom have to do with anything or why they would hold any phone number list? So I'm not sure this is true.

The link from the home page about Beat the Scammers eventually take you to here.... Otherwise there is no way to replort it, only information on the obvious...

Sightseer

Hi one of TalkTalk managers rang me last night about this complaint about them passing cuctomers numbers to of com and being published he has excalated my complaint getting back to me in 3to 5days so will let you know

Enlightened One

So - whats the resuilt of the call ?

3-5 days has now long passed......

Super Duper Contributor

Why has this not progressed further?