cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Supply modem only - Bridge mode on wifi hub

Submitted by px03afk | 10 Comments

For users like me how about providing us with a modem only.  When I originally upgraded to fibre broadband TT supplied me an HG633 router which I put into bridge mode.  Now I've upgraded to the latest fibre and along comes a new router, the Sagemcom.  However I can't find a way of putting it into bridge mode and, in any case, all I want is a modem as I have my own router behind the modem.

So, TT have supplied with a device which is listed at £120, which I can't use and I very much doubt I could get that £120 as a discount if I returned the device.

I am probably not alone in only needing a modem so why not allow for that by providing it as an option.

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

Supply modem only - Bridge mode on wifi hub

For users like me how about providing us with a modem only.  When I originally upgraded to fibre broadband TT supplied me an HG633 router which I put into bridge mode.  Now I've upgraded to the latest fibre and along comes a new router, the Sagemcom.  However I can't find a way of putting it into bridge mode and, in any case, all I want is a modem as I have my own router behind the modem.

So, TT have supplied with a device which is listed at £120, which I can't use and I very much doubt I could get that £120 as a discount if I returned the device.

I am probably not alone in only needing a modem so why not allow for that by providing it as an option.

What do you think?
10 Comments
Community Team
Status changed to: Investigating

@px03afk Thanks for the suggestion. We don't currently have any plans to provide a modem only, however I've adjusted the title of your idea and I'll ask our Products Team if it's possible to set up Bridge Mode on the wifi hub.

Wizz Kid

I'm not surprised that you don't have any plans for a modem only but I thought it would be worth mentioning it as an option as there may be many people like me who only use the device as a modem.  Even if you never go that way there might be some benefit in at least asking if the user wants the router rather than sending a new one for each ugrade.

Community Team

@px03afk Thanks for the additional suggestion. I've raised this previously with our Products Team who are looking into this suggestion. Thanks again :)

Community Team
Status changed to: Not Right Now

@px03afk I've spoken to our product team and as of right now this is not possible and we don't have plans to add this feature, however I'd like to thank you for your suggestion.

Chatterbox

Modem only option should be provided for those with their own routers and/or buying one of the WiFi Mesh products on the market, in my case Google WiFi.  Ended up using a second hand BT Openreach modem.

Community Team

@pgc30 Thanks for the suggestion.

Conversation Starter

I second that. My new WiFi hub massively improved my internet upload speed, although strangely had no effect on the download speed. As a router, however, it is useless. I cannot reserve DHCP addresses for my printers, so they don't work and there is no guest network, which is vital for security. I now have an expensive new modem/router sitting in a cupboard and have to revert to the modem/router TalkTalk gave me six years ago, which I can set to Bridge mode so I can use it with the router I had to buy.

Popular Poster

I'll second the request for modem mode and for DHCP reservations.

I don't see that modem mode can be hard. All you need to do is turn off NAT, DHCP and WiFi, and Robert's your mother's brother! I can turn off WiFi and DHCP but not NAT.

Wizz Kid

Don't disagree with the principle of turning off NAT, WiFi and DHCP, assuming you can do that.  Equally if the device can be switched in to bridge mode it achieves the same end.  However when end users wish to do that so that the device is acting as a modem why not have the option of asking for a modem rather than TT sending a device which, even if it could be put into bridge mode, is bypassing features.  The fact that TT, and all other suppliers, say that the router is supplied 'free' is nonesense.  We may not pay directly for the device but we still pay for it indirectly.  I would prefer to have to pay for it and then I can make my own choice as to whether to take the one offered or find a suitable alternative.

First Timer

so their is no modem mode in the latest talk talk router?