cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

To See Or Not To See, That Is The Question.....

Submitted by Patricia55 09-01-2019 | 32 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

TT Community Page with Hidden Text/Link.....Why?

A very odd thing happened to me earlier on, so this is more of an "idea" message to the TalkTalk technicians who should look into it, although I'd like to hear back from any members who've experienced the same on their PC monitor, or anything similar on other pages (i.e. invisible text/links).

I can't remember what I clicked on before this "Access Denied - TalkTalk Community" page popped up, and it's never happened before now (although I only joined 10 days ago). This is the link for that page.....

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Product-Archive/Community-Badges-have-arrived/m-p/1724740/thread-id/908519

Below, I hope to add 3 screenshots of the same image in order to clarify the problem of "invisible" text and link.

•  The first image is what showed when the page opened.

•  The second image is what showed after I'd highlighted the same area.

•  The third image is what showed after I'd switched on my "Dark is better for my eyes" app.

As you will see, the following text and link didn't show on the first image, but did on the other two.....

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

I'm just wondering if this quirk might be happening on other community pages, and that we can't see some relevant or important text/links on a normal white screen.....???

TT Access Denied.jpgTT Access Denied 2.jpgTT Access Denied 3.jpg

Get more ideas related to: Other

0 Likes

To See Or Not To See, That Is The Question.....

TT Community Page with Hidden Text/Link.....Why?

A very odd thing happened to me earlier on, so this is more of an "idea" message to the TalkTalk technicians who should look into it, although I'd like to hear back from any members who've experienced the same on their PC monitor, or anything similar on other pages (i.e. invisible text/links).

I can't remember what I clicked on before this "Access Denied - TalkTalk Community" page popped up, and it's never happened before now (although I only joined 10 days ago). This is the link for that page.....

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Product-Archive/Community-Badges-have-arrived/m-p/1724740/thread...

Below, I hope to add 3 screenshots of the same image in order to clarify the problem of "invisible" text and link.

•  The first image is what showed when the page opened.

•  The second image is what showed after I'd highlighted the same area.

•  The third image is what showed after I'd switched on my "Dark is better for my eyes" app.

As you will see, the following text and link didn't show on the first image, but did on the other two.....

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

I'm just wondering if this quirk might be happening on other community pages, and that we can't see some relevant or important text/links on a normal white screen.....???

TT Access Denied.jpgTT Access Denied 2.jpgTT Access Denied 3.jpg

What do you think?
32 Comments
Wizz Kid

@ferguson 

Actually, it's not "For the last time" because you never said that before now, so it's the first time.....

All you said was "I haven’t deleted anything, I’m not allowed to, perhaps it was the automated spam filter. I suggested you post about your your CallSafe issue in the appropriate section, can’t  think of anything else you may be puzzled about.", which is very different from denying that you'd REMOVED them.

Never mind, the fact that I didn't get any notifications when 3 of my comments were removed from here is enough to make an investigation into what's been happening, as well as who was actually responsible for such actions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I know I will probably live to regret this, but a little devil's advocacy.

@Patricia55-

@fergusonis right, although (IMO) is not explaining things very clearly, if at all - so my understanding of the situation.

Ferguson is a community moderator and he has the powers to delete posts (although he shouldn't) and he can move posts for review by the official TT forum team (the OCEs, although they never seem to), to an area of the forum that no ordinary member can see them (so "logically" deleted).

However as far as I know his moderator powers do not extend to this section of the forums (ideas and blogs etc.), so as long as you post here he can't delete or move them etc.. Which is why @I8this's posts are not being deleted (as they would if posted in a normal support catagory).

These forums have some quite aggresive spam filters which at times seem to have a mind of their own and quite innocent posts do occassionally get moved to a special spam area of the forums for review by the OCE's. So given that your posts (which I'm guessing all had very similar content) have disappeared and (in theory) ferguson can't delete them, then the spam filters would appear to be the next suspects. Hopefully an OCE or @StephenF may be able to confirm this, when this thread is hopefully picked up on Monday. You should get a notification if your posts have been identified as spam - do you have notifications set on in your profile ?

Judging by some other activity on various threads recently I think @ferguson has already sent me to his private "naughty step", so welcome to the club. Hey ho !

Wizz Kid

Hello, @Anonymous 

No need to consider regret, as your comments are perfectly acceptable as well as informative.

Yes, ferguson has the powers as a moderator to move/remove/delete posts and comments as he pleases; and, yes, he was right in some cases, but not all.

My main query here is to find out what went wrong, as well as why ferguson's responses to me were so inappropriately curt,
but to have THREE comments removed (2 brief, plus a longer one, and all politely versed) from the same thread and from the same sender, is very unlikely. However, if the spam filters DID accidentally remove them, they can easily and promptly be restored to their original place after investigation.

Yes, I set up notifications via email on my profile when I first joined here, and nothing was sent through to verify anything about supposed spam.

Many thanks for your input.

Enlightened One

Welcome to the 'NAUGHTY STEP' @Anonymous, and @Patricia55, it looks like I may need to make some more stools, ha!

~R.

Super Duper Contributor

@Patricia55 

Hi have you been able to make any headway with this?

Wizz Kid

Good morning, @I8this 

No, there hasn't been any follow-up by or contact from anyone yet, so I'll be getting in touch with @StephenF directly later today to find out if anything has been done to investigate the disappearance of my comments, as well as my report of "Inappropriate Content".

Thank you for asking, as I'd gone to bed last night intending to chase up about it today. After all, how long does it take to do a simple job of checking the spam filters?!!?

Have a good day, and stay warm ~ bloomin' freezing here!...;-)

Super Duper Contributor

@Patricia55 

Thanks for your reply, please keep TheHornedOne and myself updated on this.

Have a good day, and stay warm ~ bloomin' freezing here!...;-)  same here in Shropshire.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patricia55 

A little heads up.

This section of the forum isn't as frequently visited by the OCE's as the main product support catagories. Ideas are usually not critical, whereas problems can be.

As advised by "he who must be obeyed" it would be best if actual problems were posted in the "help with your products" catagory.

And good luck with the @StephenF contact. Unsolicited @ mentions of the forum staff very rarely get a response, even tho' it is the recommended escalation procedure.

"Inappropriate Content" reports are reviewed by the Community Stars, so guess what happens when you raise a complaint against a Community Star.

Quite a lot of TalkTalk forum procedures sound great in theory, very few actually work in practise.

Wizz Kid

Will do, @I8this 

Good morning, @Anonymous .....

Thanks for that information and, yes, my original/first post here is a sort of combination of ideas/problems, so I think I'll transfer to and continue this issue on the Help with you TalkTalk service ~ Billing, Your Account & MyTalkTalk app forum. I chose the "Your Ideas" section because, as such, I didn't have any problem and only wanted to report a little quirk in their system, which I added my ideas to.

Never mind, I've learnt a lot about this community over the last few weeks, in more ways than one, and now know exactly where and who to go to for assistance/comments/reports/suggestions. As for one of the Stars' unhelpful and curt comments, yes, I suppose birds of a feather will always stick together. However, inappropriate behaviour should still be reported.

"Quite a lot of TalkTalk forum procedures sound great in theory, very few actually work in practise."

Indeed so, as well as their badly run services which often create more problems than they're meant to solve.

I have a genuine sympathy for the OCE's here, who have to deal with many things that they have no control over.

As Arnold said, I'll be back...;-)

Popular Poster

@Patricia55 

Only in a re-run...

Unfortunateley that seems to be the case, I am being sent to standard error pages in the MY ACCOUNT sections; so looked over this thread to see if there was anything relevant since I'm getting nowhere.