Need help?

Use some flexibility on security questions over chat

Submitted by Broadbander 08-02-2021 | 7 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

With more than one bank account, paperless/online statements, mostly looked after by my wife who is away dealing with a family emergency, I was unable to confirm the account number we use to pay for the service.

For obvious reasons, I was not comfortable to start guessing and passing various account numbers over a chat service.

For that reason, the chat (a question about an upgrade offer email from Talktalk) failed.

I assume, that I won't be able to complete the upgrade either.

It now seems like it will be easier to switch to another provider.

Crazy or what?  I am otherwise a happy customer.

Could there not be some flexibility - as other companies do - if one security answer is unknown?  (I knew all the others)

Get more ideas related to: Other

0 Likes

Use some flexibility on security questions over chat

With more than one bank account, paperless/online statements, mostly looked after by my wife who is away dealing with a family emergency, I was unable to confirm the account number we use to pay for the service.

For obvious reasons, I was not comfortable to start guessing and passing various account numbers over a chat service.

For that reason, the chat (a question about an upgrade offer email from Talktalk) failed.

I assume, that I won't be able to complete the upgrade either.

It now seems like it will be easier to switch to another provider.

Crazy or what?  I am otherwise a happy customer.

Could there not be some flexibility - as other companies do - if one security answer is unknown?  (I knew all the others)

What do you think?
7 Comments
ferguson
Community Star

You are asking for secure access to a TalkTalk account to be made less stringent? I doubt that will receive much support.

Broadbander
Chatterbox

Did I say anything about secure access?

Today, I was only trying to find out if the upgrade offer includes a new router.

But looking ahead, if I can't upgrade the account without knowing and quoting the bank account, how could I upgrade?

Because, for sure, I could switch to another provider.  All I need is a valid form of payment.

If you have more than one, who would remember the bank account used to take out a service several years ago?

ferguson
Community Star

You don't need to remember, partially redacted details are available in My Account. Although I do agree it's bit of a bear if you were just after some generic information. It seems that you have the answers you need via the community in any event. 

Broadbander
Chatterbox

@Broadbander wrote:
Today, I was only trying to find out if the upgrade offer includes a new router.

...which after a couple of posts I was able to get answered by a helpful person on the Community.  But now feeling upset with Talktalk and have looked around to see that there are other attractive offers for Broadband around...  that doesn't sound like a smart strategy by Talktalk.

Broadbander
Chatterbox

@ferguson 

I guess you are a Talktalk person as you seemed to know I had the answer from community just before I posted?

Your suggestion is helpful:  "You don't need to remember, partially redacted details are available in My Account."

...which was where I looked while in the chat but I didn't find anything about the bank account.

My suggestion remains, and a serious one not just a whinge, that there could be some alternative questions if one answer is unavailable.

ferguson
Community Star

No, I just spotted that you had posted separately. And we shall have to agree to disagree, I will be amazed if TalkTalk act on your suggestion. 

Broadbander
Chatterbox

You're probably right!

But IMHO it is a sensible suggestion.  When companies wind customers up, like on chat today which could in any case could have been a quick answer (which I have also found after some searching an a comparison site) companiies risk that their happy customers start looking around.

So now I know I can save £8 a month for a similar service, or have free calls all day for less than my current contract.

Hmmm, previously I was only trying to decide which Talktalk upgrade to go for.