Need help?

Using 3rd Party DNS's.

Submitted by Garton2019 02-04-2020 | 4 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Could someone please check the information given in the help article "Using 3rd party DNS".

Some (HG633/HG635) is incorrect - showing how to revert to TalkTalk's DNS, rather than how to use a third party.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Using-3rd-Party-DNS/ta-p/2205279

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

0 Likes

Using 3rd Party DNS's.

Could someone please check the information given in the help article "Using 3rd party DNS".

Some (HG633/HG635) is incorrect - showing how to revert to TalkTalk's DNS, rather than how to use a third party.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Using-3rd-Party-DNS/ta-p/2205279

What do you think?
4 Comments
Community Star

I think you'll find that the article has been entirely rewritten to encourage use of TalkTalk DNS.  More TalkTalk service features rely on using the TalkTalk DNS. i.e. if you have used a 3rd party DNS and you now wish to revert to TalkTalk DNS then this is how. Some TalkTalk products are not released for 3rd party DNS.

Problem Solver

Sorry, that response totally misses the point I was making. There is conflict between the article heading and the contents of the article.

The tone of your response makes the article totally pointless. Why do people need to be show how to set the TT DNS's in a router when they come preconfigured that way. If people know how to change their DNS's to not use TT's, then it must be a fair bet they know how to revert.

The article would be useful if it did what the heading said - that gives users options and choice. TT feature and functionality aren't always the best.

Could you just escalate my comment to TT technical staff please for review and possible clarification. The article requires technical review not marketing spin.

Community Star

So you'd like the Help article titled Using 3rd party DNS?  i.e. adding a question mark. Help for customers that do wish to come back to using TalkTalk features that rely on using the TalkTalk DNS.

The TalkTalk team regularly review these ideas. I'm sure this one will be reviewed in due course.

Problem Solver

No a ? is not required - someone within TT just needs to decide what the article is actually about (how to use 3rd party DNS or how not to use 3rd party DNS) and then script the article accordingly. There does seem to be some confusing in some parts of the TT organisation regarding this matter.

I will wait to see if there is an "official" TT response.