Need help?

VPN Blocking option on HomeSafe.

Submitted by an1sa_k 28-09-2019 | 2 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 2 of 4

Although TalkTalk Homesafe (paired with Scam Protection), do an excellent job at blocking unsuitable websites from kids, it's easily by-passable through the use of a VPN Service. Anyone, not just tech-savvy children/teens, can easily download VPN apps from the Google Play Store/Apple App Store (with several of them available for free) and can bypass all set filters on the home network.

It would be great if TalkTalk's Homesafe service had an option to block VPN Services. It shouldn't be enabled by default, since I'm sure that some user's would need to use a VPN Service for work-related purposes (or whatever 😉), but for those that do want to turn it on, can. 

I understand that you can change your DNS Provider (OpenDNS provide a VPN Blocking Service by the way), but for people that don't want the extra added hassle (like me), it would be a great feature, I'm sure!

I'd love to know what other people think of this idea, and whether or not you think would be a useful feature in practice. 

Many thanks, 

Anisa Khalifa.

Get more ideas related to: Broadband Other

VPN Blocking option on HomeSafe.

Although TalkTalk Homesafe (paired with Scam Protection), do an excellent job at blocking unsuitable websites from kids, it's easily by-passable through the use of a VPN Service. Anyone, not just tech-savvy children/teens, can easily download VPN apps from the Google Play Store/Apple App Store (with several of them available for free) and can bypass all set filters on the home network.

It would be great if TalkTalk's Homesafe service had an option to block VPN Services. It shouldn't be enabled by default, since I'm sure that some user's would need to use a VPN Service for work-related purposes (or whatever 😉), but for those that do want to turn it on, can. 

I understand that you can change your DNS Provider (OpenDNS provide a VPN Blocking Service by the way), but for people that don't want the extra added hassle (like me), it would be a great feature, I'm sure!

I'd love to know what other people think of this idea, and whether or not you think would be a useful feature in practice. 

Many thanks, 

Anisa Khalifa.

What do you think?
2 Comments

This is a great suggestion and actually very important that TalkTalk take this very seriously and takes steps to sort this out.  We have a child with learning difficulties and we have set up the TalkTalk safe options but our child has managed to download a VPN app (as discussed above) on their device and then can now access other apps that are completely inappropriate and our child is now addicted to these sites. Come on TalkTalk safety engineers - please act on this

Community Team
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi Anisa,

Thanks for your suggestion, I've passed it on to the relevant team for comment, I'll let you know when we have any feedback 

Thanks

Chris