cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wi‑Fi Hub QoS to prioritise and/or limit device bandwidth

Submitted by jklloyd 03-08-2018 | 4 Comments

We have recently purchased the Wi-Fi Hub and have noticed a significant improvement in the wireless coverage and performance throughout our home. However, we have children and are currently in an area without fibre, which means their devices and use case (i.e. youtube) often comprise more important services such as on-demand TV and Video!

Quality of Service (QoS) allows available bandwidth to be divvied up and prioritised between applications and devices. With good QoS rules, we could ensure that streaming video on our TV doesn’t stutter because of a big file be downloaded (or uploaded) at the same time, or that my work laptop isn’t sluggish when I'm trying to meet that last minute deadline while my kids are playing games online.

QoS has been a common feature of most premium ADSL routers for years and I believe this was also present on your HG633 - albeit it was only accessible via a hidden menu?! I truly believe that this would prove to be an invaluable feature of the Wi-Fi Hub and sincerely hope that it is considered for a future release??

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

Wi‑Fi Hub QoS to prioritise and/or limit device bandwidth

We have recently purchased the Wi-Fi Hub and have noticed a significant improvement in the wireless coverage and performance throughout our home. However, we have children and are currently in an area without fibre, which means their devices and use case (i.e. youtube) often comprise more important services such as on-demand TV and Video!

Quality of Service (QoS) allows available bandwidth to be divvied up and prioritised between applications and devices. With good QoS rules, we could ensure that streaming video on our TV doesn’t stutter because of a big file be downloaded (or uploaded) at the same time, or that my work laptop isn’t sluggish when I'm trying to meet that last minute deadline while my kids are playing games online.

QoS has been a common feature of most premium ADSL routers for years and I believe this was also present on your HG633 - albeit it was only accessible via a hidden menu?! I truly believe that this would prove to be an invaluable feature of the Wi-Fi Hub and sincerely hope that it is considered for a future release??

What do you think?
4 Comments
Community Team
Status changed to: Not Right Now

@jklloyd Thanks for the feedback and I've passed this over to our Products Team for future consideration. If anything changes then I'll update your idea to let you know.

Conversation Starter

Me too.  I am listening to Internet radio (on a Yamaha MusicCast device connected via wi-fi), then I decide to do a big backup to my NAS.  My NAS connects to the hub via a gigabit wired connection, but the data is coming from my notebook to the hub over wi-fi.

The radio stops playing during the backup.  The traffic from my PC to the hub has grabbed all the wi-fi bandwidth and left none for the radio.  The irony is that if the entertainment devices could be given priority (like on a decent router), the bandwidth loss to the backup process would be pretty well unnoticeable except on the very rare occasions when someone is streaming 1080p video.

So sorry for the OP that he paid money to discover the many drawbacks of the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub.  Mine came "for free" when joining TT on a fibre connection, and my disappointment is great enough.  If I had paid money for it I would be livid 

Team Player

QoS really is a must-have for any proper network. It's now a while a new wifi hub is deploying and QoS is still absent.

Right now I am trying to down-level a torrent traffic setting it DSCP priority 8, but this does not work.

If some upstream traffic comes up, rtt for all traffic increases, making wifi calling and even live streaming experience awful.

This is something already implemented in a linux core software, please enable it for a customers, TalkTalk.

Conversation Starter

I had no confidence that the various issues with the TT "wifi Hub" would be sorted in a timely manner, so for more than a couple of months I have been using a Draytek "Vigor 2762ac". It's perhaps a business-class solution - and costs even more than TT used to say their hub was worth (when it was new and we were all gullible ;-).

But nevertheless, it's real good to be able to say my problems are all gone. With particular reference to QoS issues, I confess I didn't learn how to set up the QoS options yet on my Draytek device. But I didn't need to, the default settings nicely sort out the annoying problem that I noted above.