Need help?

Wi-fi settings

Submitted by hungrymaneater 02-04-2021 | 1 Comment

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

I'd like to know if it was possible to set two different passwords for my Wi-fi; one for daytime used so I could maximize the security settings, and one for evening + overnight so my kids can't access the internet during that time, but are able to during daylight hours preferably set by myself. My eldest boy in particular has been sneaking devices into his bedroom and using them at night. If I could block his usage automatically without losing my connection it would be fantastic!!! He had already got around my parental settings on laptops, tablets etc by simply doing a factory reset, wiping off any restrictions I set. Too clever for his own good.....

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

0 Likes

Wi-fi settings

I'd like to know if it was possible to set two different passwords for my Wi-fi; one for daytime used so I could maximize the security settings, and one for evening + overnight so my kids can't access the internet during that time, but are able to during daylight hours preferably set by myself. My eldest boy in particular has been sneaking devices into his bedroom and using them at night. If I could block his usage automatically without losing my connection it would be fantastic!!! He had already got around my parental settings on laptops, tablets etc by simply doing a factory reset, wiping off any restrictions I set. Too clever for his own good.....

What do you think?
1 Comment
Birchcroft
Philosopher

It's not possible using TalkTalk routers.  TalkTalk's approach to restricting Internet Access is server based using Kid Safe which currently applies to all devices on your network.  You could bypass it yourself by changing the DNS used by your devices, but of course your son could do the same.

The best technical solution, assuming you can't reason with your son and come to an amicable solution, is to use a third party router such as the Draytek Vigor 2762ac or the newer 2765ac.  These have very capable access and content control facilities.  At the simplest level you could setup 2 different SSIDs one for your son and another for you/the rest of the family.  Your son's  SSID can then be enabled/disabled according to a time schedule.  There are many other ways you can control access for individual devices, service types, content etc.   But remember this will only work for your network provided your son does not gain knowledge of the relevant passwords and it won't stop him access the internet using mobile data.   More information on Draytek 2762 Routers can be found here