Need help?

Wireless connection and slow powerline adapter

Submitted by Drewwatt 17-11-2020 | 7 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Hi when I originally got Talk Talk I took the TV package and knew I would need to site the router well away from my STB. I purchased your powerline adapters to resolve this issue. Upon setting it up it became clear the data transfer rate of these adapters was inadequate. I resolved the problem by using a WIFI extender with built in LAN port (£40 down the tube on power line adapters). This was not without issues as your router has serious issues.

1. It looses connection between WIFI and modem so you have a WIFI connection but no internet. Internet is available if connected via LAN.

2. WIFI drops for a few seconds causing disruption to TV and making it impossible to reliably record anything.

So to my suggestions:

1. Supply power line adapters with a decent 1Gb connection rate not the 200Mb ones you sell as this is completely unsuitable for streaming TV.

2. Enable the wifi that already exists in your STB for streaming instead of it only being for SMART home connections. The smart feature at present can only change channels so its pointless.

3. Sort your router's they are extremely unreliable and slow.

Please stop selling the slow 200Mb powerline adapter its completely unsuitable for streaming and it frequently drops below 50Mb transfer rate as indicated by the indicator going amber.

I have tested faster 1GB ones and they actually work.

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

0 Likes

Wireless connection and slow powerline adapter

Hi when I originally got Talk Talk I took the TV package and knew I would need to site the router well away from my STB. I purchased your powerline adapters to resolve this issue. Upon setting it up it became clear the data transfer rate of these adapters was inadequate. I resolved the problem by using a WIFI extender with built in LAN port (£40 down the tube on power line adapters). This was not without issues as your router has serious issues.

1. It looses connection between WIFI and modem so you have a WIFI connection but no internet. Internet is available if connected via LAN.

2. WIFI drops for a few seconds causing disruption to TV and making it impossible to reliably record anything.

So to my suggestions:

1. Supply power line adapters with a decent 1Gb connection rate not the 200Mb ones you sell as this is completely unsuitable for streaming TV.

2. Enable the wifi that already exists in your STB for streaming instead of it only being for SMART home connections. The smart feature at present can only change channels so its pointless.

3. Sort your router's they are extremely unreliable and slow.

Please stop selling the slow 200Mb powerline adapter its completely unsuitable for streaming and it frequently drops below 50Mb transfer rate as indicated by the indicator going amber.

I have tested faster 1GB ones and they actually work.

What do you think?
7 Comments
Philosopher

@Drewwatt for help please post in the help side in the area u need help or which is closest to it and post in ur own topic 

u can use none t/t powerlines as i do and other have they work just as the same

i use tp link and work fine

Chatterbox

@hosay299

HI thanks. I posted this up to make TT aware that they are selling equipment not fit for purpose. I've already bought some tp link av2 1Gbs powerline adapters which work great and I'm going to change my router for a tp link archer vr600. Its just ridiculous that TalkTalk can supply routers and powerline adapters that aren't fit for the job. I also posted in the help section and got no response. I spoke to Talktalk about it and they don't want to know. Their best offer was to pay £40 for an engineer to come out and tell me what I already know. I've contacted watchdog about this nonsense. 

Philosopher

@Drewwatt do not see what the watchdog  can do as it is the company as they are not breaking any rules as there own kit

think ur find u get nowhere at all 

Chatterbox

@hosay299

TalkTalk have a legal responsibility to supply equipment thats fit for purpose under the contract we have with them. Watchdog can do plenty not least of all publicise the issues with their kit. 

Community Star

Streaming TV requires a minimum of 5 Mbps and a maximum of about 20. As most TalkTalk products do not exceed a broadband ceiling of 80 Mbps then a 200 Mbps device is more than enough. There are many reasons why powerline and extender kits can have issues, you should start a topic in the appropriate help section if you would like support with this. 

Chatterbox

@ferguson

Acording to my research hd tv streaming uses 0.9Gb/s. The simple fact is the tv buffers with the TalkTalk 200Mb/s adapters in both mine and my brothers houses using different adapters of same model. When repleced with the TPlink AV2 1Gb/s adapter its perfect not a single glitch. Given both adapters are plugged to sockets in the same room and on the same ring main they should have the best connection possible. 

Community Star

Are you sure you have your numbers right? 0.9Gb i.e. 900 Mbps? On an "up to" 80 Mbps line? Whatever, as I said if you want help then start a help topic. The adapters may have simply failed. It happens.