Need help?

email files sizes

Submitted by StormChaser 24-06-2018 | 12 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 3 of 4

i think talktalk needs to let users have bigger photo attachment files as camera pics are bigger in size these days. you cannot send more then 4 at a size of 20MP without it being stopped and rejected

Stormchaser

Get more ideas related to: Email

email files sizes

i think talktalk needs to let users have bigger photo attachment files as camera pics are bigger in size these days. you cannot send more then 4 at a size of 20MP without it being stopped and rejected

Stormchaser

What do you think?
12 Comments
Community Star

Emails were never intended as a means for transmitting large attachments. There are many ways to share larger files remotely other than email.

Community Team - TT Staff
Status changed to: New

@StormChaser Thanks for the suggestion and I've passed your feedback on.

Community Team - TT Staff
Status changed to: Accepted

@StormChaser We're currently working on rolling out a new mail platform, which will allow you to send file attachments up to 25mb each which is the industry standard.

Popular Poster

Is there any update on this? Is the limit still 10 MB?

A tip when sending high resolution photos. It is the file size (in MB) not pixel count (MP) that matters. You can use a photo editor to reduce the file size without reducing pixel count by reducing the 'quality' (i.e. increasing the compression) of the JPEG. For most purposes the quality reduction won't be noticeable.

Popular Poster

As of today (10 Jan 2020) the limit is still 10MB. Outrageous. Is anything being done to bring TalkTalk/Tiscali into the 21st century on this? What happened to the new platform that OCE_Michelle mentioned 18 months ago?

Community Star

To repeat, emails were never intended to transmit large files. There are many alternative methods to do so. 

Community Star

If you send TalkTalk Mail to TalkTalk Mail then you can achieve a total mail size (that's everything, not just the attachment) of 25MB. If you send to other mail services then you're reliant on both the recipient mail service and the intermediate mail exchangers accepting the mail size.

But I would follow Ferguson's advice to use a Cloud sharing service, for example, as a better way of sharing / sending large files.

Popular Poster

That's all very well but as OCE-Michelle said 25MB is industry standard so why is Talk Talk lagging behind? It's about convenience both at the sending end and the receiving end - especially for the less-IT literate who might find using the cloud to send or receive a few pics of their grandchildren daunting.

Community Star

Please do catch up Johnian. TalkTalk will send a 25MB mail but do you personally know which of your recipients are able to accept a 25MB email sent from TalkTalk?

Popular Poster

Well I contacted TalkTalk technical support today and they told me (as they had done a couple of years ago) that the limit is still 10MB. If it is true that TalkTalk to Talk Talk emails permit 25MB (where does this information come from?) that is little consolation given the number of other services used by people you might want to communicate with. And if those services allow 25MB outgoing attachments I can't believe they won't allow something similar incoming. And, since it is (apparently) 'industry standard' I imagine intermediate servers will on the whole also let the attachment through.