cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

usage stats on account page

Submitted by S_E_F 11-08-2018 | 5 Comments

I recently received a scam/spam email from info@consumer.talktalkplc.com with the subject set to "Important: you're reaching your line's capacity" and claims in the body of it that I'm "connecting quite a few devices, and downloading a lot" etc.

This is extremely unlikely to be true in my situation (one person, one computer, no gadgets, no wireless, no gaming, no significant streaming) and the email contained no evidence to back up its assertions. It's very clearly a spam email sent out to everyone, regardless of their individual circumstances, and is just a scare-tactics marketing scam - despite it also claiming not to be that!

However, I did go onto my account page online to see if there *was* any evidence of broadband etc usage monitoring (in the same way as one might see itemised phone calls) and couldn't find any page presenting any stats which TalkTalk might plausibly have been collecting for my individual account and broadband connection.

So, if TalkTalk *does* do any sort of monitoring of people's individual line usage, it would be a nice feature to have it visible to the user themselves on their personal account page. It could possibly occasionally be helpful in tracking down whether anyone else is hacking into an account, eg for those people who have insecure wireless router connections or are infected by bitcoin miners using their computer systems while they know they themselves were not active online in any form.

Get more ideas related to: Broadband Other

0 Likes

usage stats on account page

I recently received a scam/spam email from info@consumer.talktalkplc.com with the subject set to "Important: you're reaching your line's capacity" and claims in the body of it that I'm "connecting quite a few devices, and downloading a lot" etc.

This is extremely unlikely to be true in my situation (one person, one computer, no gadgets, no wireless, no gaming, no significant streaming) and the email contained no evidence to back up its assertions. It's very clearly a spam email sent out to everyone, regardless of their individual circumstances, and is just a scare-tactics marketing scam - despite it also claiming not to be that!

However, I did go onto my account page online to see if there *was* any evidence of broadband etc usage monitoring (in the same way as one might see itemised phone calls) and couldn't find any page presenting any stats which TalkTalk might plausibly have been collecting for my individual account and broadband connection.

So, if TalkTalk *does* do any sort of monitoring of people's individual line usage, it would be a nice feature to have it visible to the user themselves on their personal account page. It could possibly occasionally be helpful in tracking down whether anyone else is hacking into an account, eg for those people who have insecure wireless router connections or are infected by bitcoin miners using their computer systems while they know they themselves were not active online in any form.

What do you think?
5 Comments
Community Team
Status changed to: Unable to Deliver

@S_E_F Thanks for the suggestion. We no longer provide usage data on our MyAccount site as we offer truly unlimited broadband so there is no need to monitor usage.

I'm sorry to hear that you received a scam call regarding this. In future if anybody contacts you suggesting that there is a problem due to downloading too much data then this will be a scam and we suggest ending the call straightaway. I would also suggest reporting the number on our check and report site so these types of calls can be blocked on our Network.

First Timer

I have received 2 suspect emails from info@consumer.talktalkplc.com.

One with a title 'Important information: Stephen, you’re reaching your line’s capacity'

and another titled 'Stephen, a look at the great value you’ve enjoyed so far in 2018.' claiming

that I am one of the highest data users of talktalk.

This cannot be possible.  Therefore I need to check my data usage somehow.

There used to be a facility in my account to do this.

I need to check in case I have hacker/virus etc.

How am I supposed to check without this facility in myaccount anymore?

The assumption by talktalk that "as we offer truly unlimited broadband so there is no need to monitor usage" is incorrect.

Please reinstate the facility in myaccount to check broadband data usage.

First Timer

I'm now inclined to ignore these emails from talktalk. 

I've now checked my usage in the router stats and I'm not currently using anywhere near the 174 Gb data that talktalk claim I am.

Chat Champion

@OCE_Michelle

It is TalkTalk themselves who are sending me this "scam" email. Either it really is untargeted spam from TalkTalk's head office, in the hopes that people will fall for it and buy more bandwidth, or there really is some external attack (invisible to me and not showing up on various scanners I've run) which is attributing itself to my account. Without the data, it isn't possible for *us* to tell the difference.

Community Team

Hi steve_x99, it's a genuine email from TalkTalk. Basically, it's an upsell mail to tell you that your line could give you better speedon fibre, basically it says your line is going as fast as it can on copper. I hope this helps you and puts your mind at rest.