cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with SuperSafe

We understand how inconvenient it is when software isn't working as it should. Take a look at our suggestions below to find out what's wrong.

Unable to find your activation email? If you've still not received your activation or the forgotten password link email then it's worth checking your spam folder in Webmail.

What is Banking Protection and how does it work?

Banking Protection adds another layer of security when banking online and/or carrying out online money transactions.

When using Banking Protection, every website you enter is checked by querying the F-Secure Security Cloud. By carrying out this check, Banking Protection gets the information on whether the site is listed as one of our trusted banking sites or not. If it is, a notification is shown indicating that you are entering an online banking site secured with https and that Banking Protection deems the site safe for you to use.

When you start your next online banking session, Banking Protection automatically gets activated again.

Note: On the PC, Banking Protection offers an elevated level of security. Once you have started an online banking session and Banking Protection mode has been activated, Banking Protection disconnects all untrusted applications from the Internet and prevents them from reconnecting while on a trusted banking site. Blocking connections prevents hijacking of your banking sessions keeping your money safe. You can also only access websites that are considered safe during a banking session, otherwise, they get blocked.

Note: To benefit from the Banking Protection feature on Android devices, the SAFE browser needs to be in use. To benefit from the Banking Protection feature on iPhone and iPad devices, you need to use the SAFE browser within the SuperSafe app.

The Banking Protection banner does not appear when visiting a banking site.

Symptoms

When visiting a banking site, the Banking Protection banner does not appear.

Diagnosis

There are a few possibilities why Banking Protection may not activate when visiting a banking site. For example:

• Right after starting your PC, and to help your PC start faster, our product waits a moment before it loads the user interface (UI). If you start your banking session immediately after starting your PC, the UI may not appear right away
  • There is a 60-second 'cool down' period after ending the previous banking session. If you start a new session during this time, banking protection is not activated
  • The product may have been updating in the background
  • Your online bank may not be listed in our database
  • The product may be malfunctioning

Solution

To help troubleshoot, do the following:

• Ensure that you are using a supported browser: Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox (2 latest major versions), Google Chrome (2 latest major versions)
  • Check that Banking Protection is enabled in the SuperSafe settings: Main product view > Settings > (Security Settings) > Banking Protection > On/Off
  • If the product has been upgraded, restart the browser and try accessing your online bank again
  • Turn off and on the product security features:
  • Open the SuperSafe program
  • Click Tools
  • Click Turn off all security features, and then click Turn on again
  • Try entering another online bank and if it works, then your online bank is most likely not included in our database. If this is the case, submit your online bank to our Labs for analysis as follows:
  • Go to Submit a Sample
  • Under the URL Sample tab, paste  your online bank's web address (URL) into the Sample URL text box
  • Check the "I want to give more details about this sample and to be notified of the analysis results" and fill in the contact form
  • Under URL type, select "Banking Protection related issue or problem"
  • Under Problem type, select "Banking session does not activate when entering site"
  • Give your sample a subject and description, and click Submit URL sample

If the issue persists, re-installation of the F-Secure product may be required. 

What is Browsing Protection?

Browsing Protection by F-Secure is a browser extension/add-on that is part of the SuperSafe software package. The extension is currently available for Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari. The extension is automatically installed when you install SuperSafe on your computer, and for most web browsers, the Browsing Protection extension needs to be enabled separately when you open up your selected browser for the first time.

With the extension enabled in your browser, Browsing Protection (known as Safe Browsing on mobile devices) ensures safe browsing and safe internet banking by supporting both encrypted (HTTPS), as well as non-encrypted (HTTP) traffic.

Browsing Protection also blocks harmful and suspicious websites to ensure the safety of your computer and personal data. For example, unwanted web pages can be blocked with a "block page" notification. It also adds a reputation rating icon before each link on your search result page by enforcing safe search mode for search engines, also if HTTPS is used. This helps you avoid harmful and suspicious websites even before clicking on them. This feature is available for Google, Yahoo and Bing! search engines.

How do I turn Browsing Protection on?

When browsing protection is turned on, you will be blocked from accessing harmful websites.

1. Open the F-Secure security product
  2. Click Settings > Browsing protection.
  3. Switch the slider to the right to turn the feature on
  4. If your browser is open, restart your browser to apply the changed settings

How do I use Browsing Protection?

During SuperSafe installation on Windows and Mac, the Browsing Protection extensions will be added to your browser. Whenever you use your browser you will be protected.

On Android, you need to use the Safe Browser app in order to be protected. You also need to use the Safe Browser app to have banking and shopping protection.

On iPhone or iPad you need to use the SuperSafe app to browse the internet safely. You also need to use the SuperSafe app to have banking and shopping protection.

Browsing Protection is blocking a website I want to view

If you find you're having difficulty viewing a website, this may be because you're blocking a particular category that the website falls into.

If you find you've blocked access to a category, you can add specific websites to the website exceptions list so you can still have access.

To view the website exceptions list, follow the simple steps below:

1. Open SuperSafe
  2. Select Browsing Protection
  3. Choose the relevant user and click Settings
  4. Select the link View website exceptions at the bottom

Yes. You’ll need to remove any other antivirus or security products already installed on your device. SuperSafe will automatically detect and remove the most common antivirus and security products during the installation process.
In some cases, you may need to manually remove other antivirus or security products before installing the SuperSafe . You can do this through your device's settings, the App Store (iOS), or Google Play (Android)

How do I know if I am using the latest version of SuperSafe?

SuperSafe updates are done automatically on all devices. If you're having problems, try uninstalling and reinstalling the SuperSafe app. 

If this still doesn't work, double-check whether your device software needs updating. SuperSafe will only work on certain operating systems, see Is my device compatible? above.

What is Family Rules?

Family Rules is a centrally-managed parental control feature that lets you look after your family's well-being by setting screen time limits, blocking access to undesirable websites and locating lost, stolen or misplaced devices. You can manage Family Rules remotely from your SuperSafe account. This means that you can make changes and add or remove restrictions on the fly without having to have the managed devices physically with you.

1. App control
    Manage app access whether to apply a time limit, allow or block the use of any particular app.
    App Control is enabled as part of the Family Rules setup wizard on a child's Android installation.

App control is currently available on Android only.

2. Time limits

Take control of your children's screen time and manage the time they are allowed to spend online. You can:
    -
    Set the total browsing time per day
    - Set bedtime or blackout period to prevent device use at a specific time frame***
    - Apply different rules set for weekdays and weekends

Time limits is currently available on PC, Android and iOS only.

Note: *** Bedtime device usage prevention is available for Windows only. On Android use of pre-installed apps, calling and texting won’t be time limited – the parent needs to set the Safe Browser as the default and block use of the Android pre-installed browser to protect their child. On iOS Time Limits only apply for Safe Browser.

3. Content filtering

Give your children the freedom to explore the Internet without worries. You can prevent access to undesirable websites based on the content categories. On PCs, Family Rules is enabled for each user (Windows user account) separately. On Android and iOS, content filtering is enabled through the Safe Browser.

Content filtering is currently available on PC, Android and iOS.

Family Rules / Parental Control is blocking a website that’s ok for my child to view.

If Family Rules is blocking a website that you are happy for your child to view this will be because you're blocking a particular category that the website falls into.

If you find you've blocked access to a category, you can add and change the settings in your SuperSafe account.

To change your child’s Family Rules settings, follow the simple steps below:

• Login to your SuperSafe account
  • Select your child’s profile
  • Select your child’s device
  • Select Family Rules
  • Choose Content Filtering and deselect the category that the website falls into

How do I overcome iOS’s limitation on the Family Rules time limit feature?

Symptoms

My child is able to use all the apps on the iOS device (iPhone/iPad) regardless of the Family Rules time limit settings.

Diagnosis

This is by design as iOS limits F-Secure to only manage our own SAFE browser app.

Solution

You can use Restrictions to block or limit specific apps and features on your iPhone/iPad.

1. On your iPhone/iPad, tap Settings > General > Restrictions.
  2. Tap Enable Restrictions.
  3. Set a restriction passcode. Use a passcode that your children do not know.
  4. Disable other Internet browsers and the Installing Apps option.

Now your children are protected against unsuitable content. They cannot bypass the browsing protection by installing or using other Internet browsers other than the SuperSafe browser.

Is my device compatible?

SuperSafe protects Windows and Mac computers, Android mobiles and tablets, iPhones and iPads.

Windows

• Supported platforms: Windows 10, 8.1, and 7 (SP1). ARM-based tablets are not supported.
  • Processor: Intel Pentium 4 or higher
  • Memory requirements: 1GB or more
  • Disk space: 1.2GB free disk space
  • Javascript must be enabled in the user's browser settings to enable active block pages.

Mac

• Supported platform: macOS 10.14 (Mojave), macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • Processor: Intel
  • Memory requirements: 1GB or more
  • Disk space: 250MB free disk space

Smartphones and tablets

• Android 5.0 or later with 70MB of free disk space
  • iOS 10 or later with 10MB of free disk space

What browsers are supported by SuperSafe?

F-Secure SAFE supports the below list of browsers.

• Microsoft Edge
  • Mozilla Firefox (latest)
  • Google Chrome (latest)
  • Mac Safari
  • Android browser (4.x and above)

How do I log into my SuperSafe account?

1. Log in to your SuperSafe account
  2. Enter your username. This will be the same email address that you use for your TalkTalk My Account.
  3. Enter your password.
  4. Click login

What do I do if I have forgotten my SuperSafe password?

No problem. Here's what to do:

1. Log in to your SuperSafe App
  2. Select Forgot your password?
  3. Enter your email address and choose Send. (Note! This needs to be your TalkTalk My Account email address)
  4. You'll receive an email shortly with instructions on how to reset your password  

If you're struggling to reset your password, you can contact us

How do I subscribe and create a SuperSafe Account?

1. Log into your  My Account
  2. Select Profile & Settings in the navigation menu
  3. Select My Security Settings in the dropdown menu
  4. Click on SuperSafe to Find out more
  5. Click on Set-up SuperSafe
  6. Select the SuperSafe pack you would like and confirm your order
  7. Follow the instructions to install SuperSafe on your devices

I’ve subscribed but haven’t received my installation email.

Once you've subscribed to SuperSafe, you'll receive an installation email. It may take a while to appear in your email account, so please be patient. It might be worth checking your spam or junk folder!

If you don't receive your installation email from F-Secure, you should follow the steps to reset your password below. When this is done log into your SuperSafe account and install SuperSafe onto your devices.

How do I install SuperSafe on my PC?

Before you start installing SuperSafe, make sure that:

• Your Windows is up to date
  • You have uninstalled your old anti-virus
  • You are logged on to your computer with administrative rights
  • You have subscribed to SuperSafe
  • You have an internet connection

Note: These steps are to install SuperSafe onto the computer you are currently using.

1. Log in to your SuperSafe App
    2. Once logged in, select Add device. The Whose device do you want to protect? window appears.
    3. Select My device, and then select Continue. The Choose device type window appears.
    4. Select This computer, and then select Download for Windows.
    5. Depending on your browser:

- The installer file downloads automatically; or

- You are asked to save the file. If prompted, select Save File

1. Press Ctrl+J on your keyboard to open the download folder and find the file
  2. Click on the installer file (for example, F-Secure-Safe-Network-Installer_xxxxxxxxxxxxx_.exe) to run the installer. If the User Account Control window appears, select Yes. Set-up takes place
  3. Select Continue when you see Welcome to SuperSafe
  4. Select Accept and install to start the installation. If you want to contribute anonymous security data to F-Secure's Security Cloud, leave the box ticked

The installation takes a minute or so, and once installed, your computer is protected. 

If SuperSafe detects viruses, malware or spyware it will automatically delete it for you. You don’t need to do anything.