cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Engineer Charge for a visit that couldn't be resolved by tech support

XTMercenary
Participant
Private Message
Message 3 of 3

In August, when I returned from work, I discovered my internet wasn't functioning. I performed the standard troubleshooting steps like rebooting my router etc. Given my background in IT support, I'm well-versed in computer hardware. After approximately 15 minutes of unsuccessful troubleshooting, I contacted TalkTalk via their webchat for technical support.

The tech support team spent about 1 hour and 30 minutes guiding me through various troubleshooting procedures. Eventually, they recommended dispatching a BT Openreach engineer and assured me of a next-day appointment. However, on the morning of the appointment, my internet had miraculously started working again. I promptly contacted TalkTalk to cancel the appointment, but the agent claimed it couldn't be canceled on short notice.

As a result, the Openreach engineer arrived and invested considerable time investigating why the connection had failed the previous day. Ultimately, he determined that my Gfast connection exceeded the recommended distance. Nevertheless, since it hadn't been an issue before, he advised against any changes.

Now, I'm facing a £75 charge for the Openreach engineer's visit, which I believe is entirely unfair. The webchat agent was unable to diagnose the problem and, in fact, suggested the Openreach engineer. I fail to see why I should be charged £75 when the internet inexplicably started working again the following day.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

HI XTMercenary

It is technically a valid charge , but I can see a credit has been raised since your post. 

Regards

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

@XTMercenary, before agreeing to the engineer, they would have required you to accept POTENTIAL charges. 

It's all in here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

It's rather a gamble for the hapless customer, as, often a problem does simply clear up on the day.

But cancellations need to be processed before noon the day before, and, also, if nothing is found to be wrong etc, the fee is incurred.

It covers the cost of them NOT being able to go to another customer in that time slot etc.

Apparently it's much less than what Openreach actually charges TT.....

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes