cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

How to complain about a failure to provide the minimum internet speed

LuS1fer
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

For some time, I have had various dropouts on my internet connection on the router. I have complained here and to the Support page (which proves hard to find and they take forever to answer).

Yesterday, I was fitting a repeater and, for the first time, saw fit to check the internet speed as it seemed slow and hey presto, I find my Fibre 150 is plodding along at 74MBps. I manage to get an online chat and they tell me it's 74MBps which falls far below the minimum guaranteed speed of 100.

I had an engineer out today who changed the wall socket which restored my speed to over 140MBps but it was evident that he was able to monitor the history and it was plain the internet speed has been rubbish for a long time, indeed down to 20 last week and in one day, the router had reset itself 88 times. Even he was impressed, in a bad way. He is also going to recommend the router be replaced.

To my mind, when I have been complaining in the past, they must have known the internet speed was too low but didn't mention it.

So the point is whether I am entitled to compensation for the lousy service I have been having (not to mention the hours I have spent chatting online) and how do I obtain the record of internet speeds that have been provided.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

The engineer was from Openreach, (not TalkTalk) and the report states a damaged socket, we have to to trust the qualified engineers report is correct.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

I think you need to check with your engineer. The socket was not damaged, it was replaced because it was not functioning correctly.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Sorry that you where having issues, Auto compensation does not cover the problem you encountered , upon looking at the the engineer report, its says the root cause was a damaged master socket, this is classed as internal wiring, and is also not covered.  

0 Likes

LuS1fer
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Ah well, I'll be changing my provider when this contract runs out. They have definitely gone downhill.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

Automatic compensation is only for total loss of service, @LuS1fer.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-your-auto-compensation-credit/ta-p/2326583

Low speeds are usually not compensated for, if not reported to Talktalk at the time (they can't sort something retrospectively).

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes