Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been missed

PeterM54
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 11

On Sunday I received an email which appeared to be a genuine one from TalkTalk and which addressed me by name and which said that I had been missed.  It stated that they had noticed I had not accessed My Account for a while.  In fact, I access my account at least once a month to check the billing details on my landline.  When there are so many scam emails about, one can do without genuine emails from utility providers which contain erroneous information.  All it does is further increase one's anxiety in relation to cyber security.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Message 1 of 11

I have also received messages from the address in question in the past @PeterM54!

The address was originally collected automatically by the mail application, and has resided in my contacts folder as <myaccout@talktalk> for a number of years.

I have come to view it as a faux address, containing - as you suggest - 'erroneous information' - so I respond appropriately; by replying with a screed of Lorem Ipsum!

If the address is indeed 'a classic scam', as Community Star Gondola advises, then why is it still making the trip, and yet to be picked up by the wonders of the TalkTalk filters, particularly in view of the fact that to carries the TalkTalk suffix!?

~R.

Message 2 of 11

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Then you can check for the yellow padlock as described previously.

Of course if you're not using a TalkTalk managed email address then you'll not be getting the benefit of this security feature.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

PeterM54
Popular Poster
Message 3 of 11

Thanks.  I don't have TalkTalk Mail, but whilst there is the <myaccount@talktalk.co.uk> on the visible detail above the main message, I can't see that or any other address in angled brackets in the view source dialogue box.  There is a lot of stuff there which all means nothing to me.  I will be interested to get feedback from the security team.  If it is a scam it would seem to be as convincing a scam as I have ever seen.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

If you'd forgotten your MyAccount password and selected the Send me a link to login then the nominal from address would be myaccount@myaccount.talktalk.co.uk  but if you ask for a reminder of your contact enquiry password or confirmation of boosts from MyAccount then that would come from myaccount@talktalk.co.uk.

But all of these types of mail messages from TalkTalk are the result of user interaction in MyAccount.

The indicator of a genuine mail message from TalkTalk is the yellow padlock icon seen at the start of the From address line but you'll see this only when using TalkTalk Mail webmail via a browser to view mail messages.

NB When I talk about an email header I'm not, in this case, talking about what you see in the From and To address lines above the body of the mail message as these can be faked. I'm talking about the hidden header that you see when you select the email options menu and View source and, on a line starting From: shows the sending address within angle brackets that would be <myaccount@talktalk.co.uk> if genuine.

The yellow padlock icon is the definitive indicator of a genuine TalkTalk message.

PeterM54
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 11

Thanks.  That address is the email header revealed in full when I hover over it.  I don't see any address when I hover over the link and email address they are asking me to click on.  The link says "Log in to My Account" and lower down there is the address of "talktalk.co.uk/access" in relation to the suggestion that I may not have logged in for a while because I have lost my password. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

I would check the email header (view source) to see the real from address. What's the address you're being asked to sign in to? Hover the cursor over the link to reveal the real link that the browser will show you, normally bottom of screen. 

TalkTalk wouldn't randomly send out mail messages asking you to sign in to a link. So this still feels like a scam. You're doing the right thing to report the email as suspicious. 

PeterM54
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 11

Email address is myaccount@talktalk.co.uk

It asks me to click on a link to log into my account which I have not done.  What I have done is to report to the phishing address as you suggested.  Sorry if my first response to you sounded a bit curt.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

What address was the message sent from and what was it asking you to do? 

I've never received a genuine email from TalkTalk saying they have missed me signing in to MyAccount. Frankly, your description smacks of a classic scam. 

PeterM54
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 11

It isn't a phishing email.  It is a genuine email from TalkTalk which has erroneous information.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Report a suspicious 'phishing' email to TalkTalk security or to the UK Government Suspicious Email Reporting Service report@phishing.gov.uk

Help with Phishing emails