Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Increase during fixed price contract

swaish
Chat Champion
Message 411 of 411

I am 13 months into a two year fixed cost contract. I have today received an email advising my monthly costs will be increasing by £2 a month; not a vast amount of money but unexpected.

Can TalkTalk increase costs during a fixed cost contract? If so can I terminate the contract without penalty? Pleased with the service overall but there are some keen offers around and it may be worth me moving.

Swaish

410 REPLIES 410

Message 141 of 411

@davep Keep a lookout for the email, mine arrived 2 days after the Bill.

0 Likes

Message 142 of 411

Just received my monthly bill email.  Not had anything about £2 increase af far as I'm aware, but this bill says

Important Pricing update

We're making changes to the way we charge for calls. From May 1st, we're removing the 23p connection fee on UK and International calls. Call rates for UK and International calls will go up by 3p per minute, but you'll only ever be charged for what you use. We're making the price you pay for calls simpler and fairer for you.

I have free calls for the remainder of my contract so probably won't affect me, unless there is something to say they can increase that as well....

I guess most will pay up as TT are not the most expensive, though in my case they were as cheap as I could get anywhere.  My service is adequate and despite what some think, service through the forum is really good.  Moving has the chance of problems, so until  TT becomes very expensive I'll cringe and bear it!!  Good luck wherever you all end up.

0 Likes

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Message 143 of 411

@swaish wrote:

I am 13 months into a two year fixed cost contract. I have today received an email advising my monthly costs will be increasing by £2 a month ..................

£2.00pcm eh, as you say swaish, ' .............. not a vast amount ..... '.  Have you checked-out your Council Tax increase yet?

~R.

stevieboy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 144 of 411

@ferguson I agree!

When i was presented with options yesterday, i couldn't make the sums work out for the fixed price plus contract.

£23.95 per month for 18 months (fixed price plus) or £20 per month for 18 months (standard contract) plus £7.50 credit still works out much less when factoring in the CPI + 3.7% increases for the last 4/5 months of the 18 months contract.

0 Likes

Message 145 of 411

Fixed Price Plus is a whole new can of worms enclosed in another kettle of fish! I cannot work out any benefits from that to be honest: you pay an extra £x a month - I have no idea, I can't find any specific details - and you are not subject to the +3.7% on annual price rises, but still CPI? You would have to be on a hell of an expensive package to make that worthwhile. Maybe someone else can explain it better. 

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 146 of 411

Well that definitely rules out ever using option 1 then.

From the link I posted earlier to the other thread I dont know if its just me of if what Arne said about Fixed Price Plus needs to be a little clearer.

Where he says Once your contract ends your broadband will only increase in line with inflation does that mean just the general rate of inflation or does that also include TalkTalk's 3.7% ?

Pre-Pay Saver sounds the best for me to be honest but people need to realise that if they have boosts that the price for them can still increase in less you get them free.

To many people still get caught out by that.

0 Likes

Message 147 of 411

@Nexster wrote:

I may be wrong but my understanding was if it increase was just the rate of inflation then you have to accept it but if its over that then you are allowed to leave.

Sadly not. If it is written into the contract then you accept any annual increase as stated. I know ....

0 Likes

Message 148 of 411

The good old days of line rental saver.

Always thought it was a cunning ploy to keep me shackled to BT.

The broadband contract always ended before the line rental part, the resulting success, or lack of in negotiations depended on which side of the bed the retentions team member got out of.

Spent many a happy hour haggling with them, forearmed with competitors prices, discounts etc.

0 Likes

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 149 of 411

@davep wrote:

Just read this:

Latest offer for the entire minimum term of your contract (£22.95 per month for 24 month contract, £30 per month for 24 month contract, £30 per month for 12 month contract) £30 per month thereafter. The monthly price of Fast broadband will increase by £2 from April 2021. The price will then rise in April each year by the rate of inflation plus 3.7%, from 2022.

I don't understand how this can be advertised. 

I may be wrong but my understanding was if it increase was just the rate of inflation then you have to accept it but if its over that then you are allowed to leave.

I did read in another thread about something called the Pre-pay Saver which means you pay in full upfront for a 12 Month contract which is unusual these days as most contracts are 18-24 months.

I appreciate that not a lot of people will be able to afford doing that but its one way of guaranteeing no price increase.

Sounds a bit like the old days where you could pay for the line rental in full for a discount.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Your-Account-Billing/The-new-prices-from-April/td-p/2731196

0 Likes

Message 150 of 411

Well, big fat Charlie did say that TalkTalk would always remain cheaper than BT, one promise at least which has been kept. Not a particularly ambitious target, though. 

0 Likes

Message 151 of 411

Got a word that fits nicely with them virtually using the same +x%.

Cartel.

Still at least Talk Talk will save you .2%, that is a whole 6p on £30 for example.

Where shall I spend my savings, can you still buy penny chews.

Message 152 of 411

Ha! CPI is one thing. CPI plus X% is quite another. Back to you, TalkTalk. 

0 Likes

Message 153 of 411

Could it be Ofcom that are the real bad quys in all of this ?

Allowing Openreach to increase prices by inflation, instead of cost.

How ironic, seen quite a few Twitter complaints to the people who opened up this can of worms.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/talktalk-warns-broadband-prices-will-rise-unless-wholesale-regulat... 

0 Likes

Message 154 of 411

@davep I wouldn't worry too much about Martin Lewis personally I would have thought this is exactly the sort of thing he should be campaigning about so I think maybe we should be upset with him🙂

0 Likes

Message 155 of 411

@davep 

Basically we`re back to the three choices because TT are not going to reconsider their actions.

Pay the £2

Inform TT you`re leaving and leave

Negotiate a new contract using the threat of leaving and the fact they have broken thier contract.

0 Likes

Message 156 of 411

Seems obvious to me too, it then goes on to say when price rises apply. It's the new normal I'm afraid. 

0 Likes

Message 157 of 411

thought it was obvious.  Came from web site for fast BB

Latest offer for the entire minimum term of your contract (£22.95 per month for 24 month contract,

The monthly price of Fast broadband will increase by £2 from April 2021. The price will then rise in April each year by the rate of inflation plus 3.7%, from 2022.

Doesn't say check T&C's.  Does say ENTIRE MINIMUM TERM etc....

0 Likes

Message 158 of 411

@davep Which bit?

0 Likes

Message 159 of 411

Just read this:

Latest offer for the entire minimum term of your contract (£22.95 per month for 24 month contract, £30 per month for 24 month contract, £30 per month for 12 month contract) £30 per month thereafter. The monthly price of Fast broadband will increase by £2 from April 2021. The price will then rise in April each year by the rate of inflation plus 3.7%, from 2022.

I don't understand how this can be advertised. 

0 Likes

Message 160 of 411

@Birchcroft   Thanks for the info - must have fallen asleep half way through when reading the T&C's.  It does seem BT started this and everyone else is following.  Plusnet add 3.9% on CPI.

I vaguely remember prices increased some time ago when BT robbed everyone by putting up line rental prices and nothing we could do about that.

My bill is due around now, and haven't had anything through about the price increase.  I'll maybe investigate how to become a vulnerable customer and maybe avoid it - age, health?

At the price I'm currently paying, it's not overly expensive as I got a deal on inclusive calls, which I realise not everyone wants.  At £2 it will be >10% rise, but can't be fussed with the hassle of changing.  It's about the same as I could save changing energy suppliers, but after last time similar antipathy.  Martin Lewis would hate me!

0 Likes