cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

5 GHz dropping

Andries
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

I have new router (joined April 11th) and everything is working fine except the 5GHz band. Discovered this through my LSX II KEF speakers. I need to switch these on/off frequently to reconnect. Checking my router 5 GHz had nothing connected. Most of the equipment switches to 2.4 GHz (like my iphone) but the KEF's are locked to a band.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 13

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

They work on both bands, but only 1 at a time. KEF recommends 5 GHz for reasons of bandwidth, they also recommend to rename the SSID (to prevent automatic switching) and band steering (if that is the correct term).
Further I have disabled MAC filtering completely and fixed the channel (no auto)..

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 13

Hi @Andries 

Do these speakers only work on the 2.4GHz band only? If so, I am puzzled as to why you think that the 5GHz band is dropping.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Andries
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

Hi Keith it's a Sagecom 5364 and the speakers are KEF LSX II, they have advised me to go back to 2.4 GHz to see if the issue persist. I am happy to do that, but it wouldn't really solve the issue of course. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 13

Hi @Andries 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. First of all please can you tell me the make & model of the router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi Andries

Our Community Star @KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Could you help please Keith?

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.  If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Message 7 of 13

Sorry new on the forum, but found the reply button 🙂

Yes I did previously split as this is a recommendation from KEF.

Basically I alwyas identified the 5 GHz as a separate network to manage the load,

0 Likes

Andries
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 13

Yes did reset, I've been ongoing experimenting with router settings to get it working (like cancelling MAC filtering) etc. To no avail.
Previous router from UW had no issues.

0 Likes

Andries
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

And split the names into one that identifies as 5GHz (also KEF recommendation).

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi Andries

Thanks for confirming.

Did you previously split the SSID's on the router?

Andries
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Sure,  several times. Also cancelled bandsteering (as KEF recommends).
When I looked in the router there was nothing connected this morning (should be 3 devices)

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi Andries

I'm sorry to hear this.

Have you tried resetting the router? (pin hole reset for ten seconds)