cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Avoiding the admission of poor service..

Meringuefish
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 29 of 29

Hi all,

so it has become apparent this week that IF you run a TalkTalk speed test and it is lower than the minimum acceptable level; the test will just ‘fail’ rather than give you the actual mps number.

really poor, leaves a bad taste. Anyone else experienced this? 
I’ll load some screenshots if I can , for further detail-

1C145DE2-96A7-4EF8-872C-F417DE4171FB.jpeg

85E7017D-AD1B-4169-92ED-690E66796B46.jpeg

3CE758E3-41CF-4BD6-9A24-0D1C2DB3E601.jpeg

0D28CD4F-8DE5-423D-835F-C089B11F6E3F.jpeg

083C30CE-E560-42F4-B166-D1DBDAC2C486.jpeg

CB9F8575-F6EF-4DF6-8206-42EFCF0DE53F.png

B25D4463-3C59-4CE4-A361-A75D45C09F07.jpeg

D5B683D8-F757-4ECD-8F01-0780CEA4D6B4.jpeg

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Meringuefish
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 1 of 29

Ok, let’s close this thread. That wasn’t my issue. Check back to the beginning. Thank you

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 29

So what is the actual issue then?

You seemed to be complaining about slow speed. They supplied a replacement router to rule out the possibility of the router being faulty. Do you suffer speed issues over wired connections or is it only WiFi affected?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 29

Hi,

thank you yes, router received.

as it is the same as my existing one, I haven’t undertaken the task of switching it out and re-setting everything.

the router isn’t really addressing the point I was initially making though.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 29

@Meringuefish ,

Did you ever receive the new router?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 29
0 Likes

Message 6 of 29

Hi Meringuefish

Have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 29

@Meringuefish wrote:

Thank you, if there is a newer better one than we have had for the last 3-4 years, that would be great .

current one isn’t faulty… just need a bit more oomph.

If your current router is only 3 or 4 years old then it's relatively up to date - I don't think the new one you'll receive will be any better. It'll only resolve your issue if your current one is faulty.

Just to be clear, are you saying that it is only WiFi performance which is the problem? Are wired connection speeds always as good as you would expect?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 29

Hi Meringuefish

I've ordered the replacement router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks 

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 29

Thank you, if there is a newer better one than we have had for the last 3-4 years, that would be great .

current one isn’t faulty… just need a bit more oomph.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 29

Hi Meringuefish

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing so we can rule this out first?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 29

14.4Mbps (1.02 upload).

our issue is getting this out around the house on WiFi- router seems weak.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 29

Hi Meringuefish

Please can you run a wired speed test?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 29

OK, but to be honest I think you may be a wee bit fixated on that as opposed to addressing whether there is an actual speed issue with your service. The fact that readings are all over the place can indicate false positives. And if you have not tested with a wired connection at all than that could just show that you are having issues with your wireless connection, which is another matter. If you can try connecting at the test socket and run some wired speedtests over the weekend I am sure that will be really helpful for the support team when they pick this up again next week. 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 29

… every 6 months for 7-8 years, yes.
but you are still missing the point,    
the screen shots I posted earlier; 1 minute apart, in the same spot.

2 independent readings, around 7mps. The TalkTalk reading - this time boasting a 16mos, that from their graph had been stable for a week! Ludicrous, we have had total outages in that time, and much fluctuation.

so please, no more ‘internet basics’ advice please - it’s the reluctance to record a sub par speed  via TalkTalk, designated speed test that I was discussing, nothing else.

Message 15 of 29

Have you tried the suggestions Michelle posted earlier?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 29

@Meringuefish, staff will be back to follow this up after the weekend. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 17 of 29

Hello again - ok, please see the below 3 screenshots of speed tests from just now . 
I rarely get above 8mps, TalkTalk just won’t acknowledge it

8C976A9F-817C-4CC3-93A9-DDB4D3E97BC0.pngB6FD0BDA-728F-4173-A146-4646D74EE480.png854BBB85-FD54-4523-8584-DC48BF40EC91.png
0 Likes

Message 18 of 29

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. If the speeds are varying/dropping very low then we can look into this further for you. Does your main socket have a test socket please? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket so we can see how the speeds compare. Is the voice service also clear of any noise?

I'm not sure why the speed tester is not reporting a specific speed when the speed is low. My first thought was that the test couldn't fully complete as the speed was so slow.

Thanks

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 29

@Meringuefish ,

You say that speed on WiFi devices is poor. Have you run wired speed tests for comparison?

Is the router sync speed also low when you are having issues or is it just throughput speed?

0 Likes

Meringuefish
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 29

This happens frequently- especially Sundays. 
mps on WiFi devices is very poor.

point is - independent speed tests return a low number, TalkTalk’s own test will only return a number when it is higher than the ‘acceptable’ level!!

I’m not getting anywhere so don’t worry. Have a good week All 👍

0 Likes