cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

BBand speed fallen well below 21.5 Mb/s guaranteed speed

exBT2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 51

Hi, BB speed fallen to 15-16 Mb/s and there is a buzzing noise during conversation on my telephone line. The router has been reset and the line noise is present with a phone plugged into the internal master socket (with router disconnected)! The BB speed has been measured using ethernet connection, not wifi.

A on-line line test shows a fault present which could not be identified and a reference given - REP-13645566. I am now locked out of further tests. 

Can you please tell me what happens next, do I have to wait for fault to be investigated? Or any other procedure? It's not clear from the test result info what follows.

Thank you,

Mike.

0 Likes
50 REPLIES 50

Message 1 of 51

No problem Mike, just let us know if you experience any further problems 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 51

Hi Michelle,

We have a local electronics recycling centre so no problem to take the old router there.

Also thank you all again for the help in resolving the problems.

Best regards,

Mike.

Message 3 of 51

Good morning,

Ah no problem 🙂 If you'd like to recycle the router yourself then that would be fine or if you'd prefer us to do it then please let us know and we can send you a router returns bag.

I'm really glad to hear that the speeds have continued to improve 🙂

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

Message 4 of 51

Hi,

Sorry about the delay, I've been away for a few days.

The old router make is D-Link and the model is DSL-3782.

Thanks,

Mike.

PS: The speed to router is now 29.9 Mbs, faster than it has ever been!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 51

Good morning,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update. Can I just confirm, what is the make and model of the original router please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 51

Thanks Chris,

New router fitted and immediately sync'd at 27.1 Mbps with download speed 24.9 Mbps on ethernet connection so I'm happy with that.

There is no return bag for the old router but the enclosed delivery note suggests either repackage and send to 'WEEE Returns' or dispose at local recycling centre. The latter is ok for me if that is acceptable.

Thank you all again for your help in resolving the fault, excellent service.

Regards,

Mike.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 51
0 Likes

Message 8 of 51

Thank you. 😊

0 Likes

Message 9 of 51

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 51

Sorry about delay, I ran a web line test:

"Your line is being tested

Updated: 10:28 on 23/11/2023

This test will find out if there is a fault between our network and your home. This page will update when the test is finished."

with a request to refresh the page if no change within 10 minutes but I waited 50 minutes with no response or SMS or even access to the internet, so I refreshed the router (power cycle). The test never completed.

Strange that the problem only occurred after a line fault but as its getting near to contract renewal then a replacement router seems the logical path now. So thank you, will await replacement router.

Regards,

Mike.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 51

Hi,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to see how the speeds compares and to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 51

I really cant be sure as I have no record other than memory but it has been much higher than the guarantee and the broadband speed test has always been acceptable. Also the service check did not show any fault before the line fault.

The service check is still saying there is a suspected broadband fault.

Maybe I should follow the direction indicated by the service check as perhaps the system is waiting for that to be completed.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 51

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. I've re-run the line test now and this is clear for both broadband and voice. The speed also looks like it has started to stabilise again. What are the fastest speeds you've seen with your connection, prior to the fault please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 51

Thanks,

Plugged into test socket since yesterday, status check and speed test figures done this morning.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 51

Hello,

Thanks for the update. Apologies for the confusion, is the line test now only picking up the fault at the main socket or also at the test socket too?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 51

Hi Michelle,

Current speed is 23.337 Mb/s, service check showing suspect broadband fault, speed test 19 Mb/s status poor. I did try another filter but made no difference. My concern now is that my contract is up in December and a renewal contract pdf is only offering a guaranteed speed of (IIRC) 16 or 18 Mb/s which is lower than the existing contract. Also prior to the line fault the speed to router was much higher, again IIRC, sometimes up to 27 Mb/s. Could openreach have re-routed the copper path from the cabinet (eg made it longer)?

Thanks,

Mike.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 51

Morning,

Thanks for the update. How has the connection/speed been since your last post?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 18 of 51

Hi Chris,

There is no problem with the phone line, perfectly quiet. There has been a noisy line fault which openreach cleared last week. The master socket was also replaced, as routine said the engineer. The old socket was a BT one from years ago. Speed test shows download speed at 18 Mb/s , 'Status: Poor'

Thanks,

Mike.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 51

Hi exBT2,

Line test is passing and router is in sync at 23.6Mbps. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 51

Hi again Michelle, a service check says '

We suspect an issue with your broadband' and s speed check says 'Status: poor'

so don't know whats going on. Speed to router now 23.637Mb/s connected to master socket with faceplate in place, no extension phones exist.

Thanks again,

Mike.

0 Likes