cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Bandwidth DOES get throttled, regardless of what "policy" says

Lindsay_Dawson
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

So I've been using TalkTalk for a few years now, and this past year or so quality has fallen off a cliff, it's clear that during times of high traffic that users will have their services limited, typically around the same times of day. It's incredibly frustrating that we must do this dance of checking your equipment, pretending that is the problem, and being lied to being told "It isn't our policy to throttle bandwidth etc" 

In the words of a local computer technician who runs his own company and is an expert on the subject:

"Every internet provider for home use will throttle speeds at peak times regardless of what they say in their terms and conditions.  The only way to get an unthrottled connection is to choose a business package from an internet supplier but these will be much more expensive, they do however have truly unlimited and non throttled speeds."

Rather than gas-lighting and lying to customers.. Why not simply be honest and handle the issue appropriately?

In our house we have recently got newer equipment as suggested by TalkTalk technicians, and are still being told that the equipment is somehow the problem. The past few nights once again we're experiencing slow speeds again and whilst i'm unable to prove it at this point i'm convinced it's throttling. I've made an account here because attempting to call TalkTalk support about the problem is truly an exercise in masochism.

Whilst TalkTalk is one of the cheaper services if this keeps up for any longer i'm simply going to move elsewhere, as the service is barely usable anymore and I'm sick of being lied to about the cause.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 4

Hi Lindsay,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on and if you managed to run any more speed tests?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

Morning,

Just to advise, we don't throttle speeds. Please can you run a few wired speed tests at peak times, when the speeds drop and also during the day when the speeds are ok using the TalkTalk Speed Tester. We can then raise this over for further investigation.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Your local computer technician has a personal opinion not shared by those that know differently. TalkTalk Consumer does not throttle broadband speed at any time because there's no need to. Here's the statement direct from TalkTalk about Broadband Traffic Management.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes