cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband connection dropping in and out for the past 3 months, end up hotspotting off my phone

Jpandjamo
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

When I first joined talk talk, connection and speeds were reasonable,

however in the past few months the connection has been awful,

talk talk have tested the line and found no issues. 

I am an online coach so a lot of my work is web based, I use zoom and loom as well as other programs, having poor internet speed and connection is having a serious impact on my ability to carry out my work effectively!

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hi

I've sent you a PM to confirm some info so we can book an engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

May as well book an engineer, it’s just done it 3 times whilst trying to watch Disney plus.

went to Amber flashing then to white and amber flashing, back to white. Then did it all again 3 times 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Hi Jpandjamo

Yes no problem. Just post here to let us know how you get on and if needed then we will book the engineer for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Yeah fair enough,

shall we monitor it over this coming week and if continues book an engineer in? 

I will say I haven’t noticed it AS much with the new router but it did happen still. 

Message 5 of 19

Hi Jpandjamo

If you have tested with 2 different routers, cables and filters at the test socket and the connection is still dropping then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Both, we have tv and computer hardwired but it can drop out on both, but guess we notice it more on mobile devices. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Hi Jpandjamo

I'm just checking if the re connections I can see are when the router has been rebooted.

Is the connection dropping when connected wired or only affecting the wireless connection?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Yes have reset router, we’ve now installed the new Router and the internet was out the other evening around midnight for some time .

just getting annoying now to be honest, as I do a lot of work mostly online and my partner she works from home full time so everytime it does drop out it becomes a huge inconvenience 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hi Jpandjamo

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I can see a couple of re connections on the line. When the connection dropped did you reboot the router?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 10 of 19

Hi @Jpandjamo,

Is the replacement router the Huawei (front of router would be all black) rather than the Sagemcom (which has a bronze colour behind the holes on the front). Is the LED changing to Amber, then Amber / White when you are losing connection, or does it stay white ?

The staff here will be back on 29th to help further.

Message 11 of 19

Hi Chris,

thanks for sending the router out, we have connected up the new router, no change in all honesty, still drops out at random times, as we speak we have no internet, as I’ve had to tether from my phone for bt sport currently and laptop also says no internet on the wifi 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi Jpandjamo,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

Message 13 of 19

Hi Michelle,

yes that would be brilliant if possible!

sometimes it flashes Amber when it’s playing up, but also other times we have the white light on still when it’s playing up too!

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Hello,

Ok thanks for confirming. When the connection drops do any lights change on the router? Would you like us to send a Huawei Wifi Hub for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Jpandjamo
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 19

It’s both when on WiFi or when using an Ethernet cable. It just completely disappears. Leaving the only option to use our mobile hotspots from our phones. Both my partner and I work from home even when it’s not pandemic times. The issue is becoming more and more frequent. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is clear and the sync speed looks ok. Can I just confirm, are you connected wired or wireless when the speeds are low?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 19

I’d already spoken to them and they have tested the line and all good according to them, but using the internet here and my partner working from home full time, we’re obviously well aware that it isn’t ok 😬

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 18 of 19

Hi @Jpandjamo,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line around the time you are having problems, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.