cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Devices losing connection to router intermittently

Jny5855
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

We've been having an issue with our router (the hardware version is FAST5364 3.00). Every 7-10 days (sometimes sooner) some devices will stop getting traffic from the router. They appear to still be connected via wifi, but if we disconnect them they are unable to connect again. Eventually all devices lose connection and we have to reboot the router.

We've contacted support, and they had us run a speed test, but it doesn't really tell us anything other than that the network is currently ok. The internet connection itself seems totally fine.

Would performing a factory reset fix the issue, or is there any update we need? This issue has been persistent for several months, and seems to be getting worse.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi

The Huawei Hub is on the way.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Yes please. Thanks for all your help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to send  Huawei Wifi Hub instead for testing purposes? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Thank you, I really appreciate the help and knowledge. I thought about changing the DNS yesterday, but it was just a guess and I was concerned it'd cause other issues - we have quite a few phones and tablets and trouble-shooting them would be tricky.

I'll see what the staff suggest tomorrow, thanks so much.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

Ok, if the LED remains solid white when you have issues, and you lose internet access on both wired and wireless devices, then it is quite likely you are suffering from a known issue with firmware SG4K10002816t that can cause DNS resolution failures with the router, a reboot of the router will temporarily fix it, but the issue will then randomly come back again. A factory reset is unlikely to help.

There is a new version of firmware being rolled out that fixes this issue, but the rollout is happening quite slowly as some other issues are being investigated.

The staff here will be able to help when they pick this post up tomorrow, they may suggest that they send you a router of a different type (the Huawei hub).

Alternatively, if you are comfortable with logging into the router and changing a setting then you may well be able to stop the issue from happening, but it is only a good idea to try this if you have a fairly simple home setup (i.e. just devices that need to access the internet), if you have devices that need to talk to each other and rely on your router to provide local DNS for the devices to find each other, then trying this workaround is probably not appropriate, as it may stop those devices from being able to see each other.

If you did want to try changing settings on your router then let me know and I'll post the details, you can easily undo the change if necessary. But don't worry if you are not comfortable changing settings, the staff here may be able to offer a replacement Huawei hub if they think this is necessary.

Message 6 of 8

Hi, thanks for responding!

Does the LED on the router remain solid white even when you are having these issues ?

I believe so. I've not noticed any blinking when I've gone to reset the router.

Do you have any devices connected to the router 'wired', if so do these devices also suffer from the same problem ?

We have two wired TalkTalk set-top boxes, one connected via ethernet over powerline. Unsure about the directly-connected box - the powerline one has has issues, I think it gets used more often.

If you browse to the router login screen (http://192.168.1.1/) then towards the bottom of the screen it will show you the firmware 'version', it will start with SG4K, what is the full version number that you see ?

SG4K10002816t

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Jny5855,

Does the LED on the router remain solid white even when you are having these issues ?

Do you have any devices connected to the router 'wired', if so do these devices also suffer from the same problem ?

If you browse to the router login screen (http://192.168.1.1/) then towards the bottom of the screen it will show you the firmware 'version', it will start with SG4K, what is the full version number that you see ?

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow

0 Likes