cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Disable automatic WiFi channel optimisation

gt6gt6
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Hi

Please could someone disable the channel auto feature?

I have spent a frustrating hour with an online chat "engineer" who neither knew what I was talking about nor made an effort to read my remarks.

Thank you

Andy

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi @rgbargey 

Thanks for your feedback. I've just passed this over to our Devices Team now.

Debbie

0 Likes

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

I have to disagree strongly with your engineer's opinion. My experience testing 3 Hub2s tells me that there is something very wrong with the way WiFi Optimisation in Hub2s actually works. I had a very typical setup (2 phones, 2 laptops & 5 echo dots) and had frequent WiFi disconnections & "Can't Access the Internet" messages on all my devices. Since disabling WiFi Optimisation 6 months ago, I have not had one single problem. In fact I am really impressed with the stability and range of my Hub2. I should also add that I separated the SSIDs and assigned specific channels to 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and chose a low 5GHz channel number that all my devices could see.  Just felt I had to chip in, as I am convinced that this is a widespread problem that requires a firmware change to fix it or disable it.

Message 3 of 8

Hi gt6gt6

I'm just sending you a Private Message.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi Chris

Yes.

Andy

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi Andy,

The feedback that we are getting from our engineers are that in some very specific situations where the customer has an unusual setup then switching the wifi optimisation off may be beneficial, but in the majority of cases it actually makes the connection worse. Do you actually see a noticeable improvement when you manually change the channel to a different one than the one set by wifi optimisation?

Chris

0 Likes

gt6gt6
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Hi Chris

It'll make it worse only if I choose a crowded channel . . . . and my problem is that the algorithm is erroneously choosing just that. 

I have tried to move away onto a quiet channel to prevent clashes with my neighbours but by the next morning it's been reset. I'm not sure how it decides what is the best one but it doesn't seem to select what any wifi scanner indicates are the best channels. 

I have seen several other TT community posts around this "feature" and in every case getting you to turn it off fixed the issue.

Andy

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hi Andy,

Could I ask why you would like wifi optimisation disabling as this likely to make wifi connectivity worse?

Chris

0 Likes