cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Openreach modem: connection dropouts

speedzilla
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

I have Fibre250 with the MT992 G.fast modem and a separate router.

Over the last months, the modem loses the internet connection intermittently (internet LED is off, see photo). It will usually resync with the network after a few minutes, but in the mean time there will be no internet. It's very disruptive, particularly for active zoom/teams calls. It can happen several times a day, or not at all.

modemmodem

I registered a fault with TT and went thru multiple line tests. One of them indicated an issue and an Openreach engineer attended the cabinet (but not my house). They said it was solved but it isn't. I suspect it's not an issue in the cabinet and a good start would be to replace the modem.

I tried different routers and that isn't the issue. The issue is the modem losing sync. It seems I am not alone experiencing this, with other posts on the same topic on reddit and here. For example:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/OpenReach-modem-dropping-internet-connection-periodica...

TT can you help with this?

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi speedzilla,

I've sent you another PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Hi speedzilla

I've sent you a PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Thanks, I'll follow up in PM

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Ok, if you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

yes please

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

OK  thanks. We can arrange an engineer visit to investigate. If you'd like me to do this please let me know and I'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

yes

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

No non-available seconds showing for the 21st and no errored seconds. The disconnection on the 20th is showing but for a much shorter time. Nothing showing at all for yesterday, zero unavailable seconds all day and zero errored seconds.

The disconnection on the 14th is showing, 284 unavailable seconds

The outage yesterday, did the lights on the modem indicate a loss of connection?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Hi Chris

Appreciate you checking on the OR website.

My data and experience are a little different.

Uptime robot reports an outage on 21/6 at 2237 for 3'35" and 20/6 at midnight for 4'47" and 14/6 at 1741 for 1'10".

It doesn't report the outage I had yesterday, 26/6, for about 5min between 1700-1800.

Whether the disconnections show or not, I definitely experience them. What's the best next step to resolve this?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi speedzilla,

I've checked the real time data for your line on the Openreach website for the last week or so, this shows non-available seconds on an hour by hour basis. The only disconnections that I can see are one for 84 seconds just after midnight on the 20th and one for 80 seconds in the early hours of 23rd. There are no disconnections showing since the 23rd.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Dropouts are usually 3-5 mins long so I don't always spot them if I'm not using the network at the time. Surely feels like more than twice over 11 days. I installed a port monitor that alerts me when a port is down (which is when the internet is down). Last instances are 14/6, 20/6, 21/6. But it does not track very short outages. The internet LED is off during an outage, and this affects wired devices and wireless devices. The netgear router is working fine and devices are connected to it wirelessly, but there is no internet on the WiFi network when the modem is not cooperating.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which is clear and I can see 2 re-connections over the last 11 days. Has the connection been dropping more than this? Have you noticed if any of the lights change on the router or the Openreach modem when this happens? Does this also affect any devices connected wired?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Hi Chris

Can we pick this up again?

Still facing the same issues- repeated, short, disconnections. Can happen more than once a day.

I had an Openreach engineer visit recently for an unrelated matter, replaced the whole cable leading up to the house, but disconnections are still abound.

Can you help?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22
0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

I’ve turned them off and on and will now monitor disconnections for a few days to see if they persist. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

OK, Could you switch the modem and router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and monitor to see if the disconnections continue. If they do then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Just one master socket and only the modem connected to it.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

OK thanks. How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your modem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi Chris,

Thanks for looking at this.

I've never had a landline phone connected to the socket...

0 Likes

Message 20 of 22

Hi speedzilla,

Line test is passing but  I can see that there have been some reconnections over the last few days. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris