cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Ping spikes on all devices, but only in my room

mwood1
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

I experience large ping spikes on all of my devices (although most obvious on PS5) but only if in my room. On PS5 I get around 20-30ms ping and then spike to ~900ms about once every 10 seconds, making it unusable. On my laptop, when I test the ping to any server it does a similar thing, either timing out requests or spiking.  

My flatmates have no issues, and if I leave my room (which is furthest from the router but not far), I dont have these issues either. However, I have a wifi extender in my room and the issues are still present when connecting to that, as well as hotspot too. 

Would appreciate any help! 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Thanks. Line test is passing but local wifi channels all appear to be very congested, the current channel is more congested than some others. Could you switch the router and modem off for 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest. Please let us know if there's any improvement

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Hi Chris,

I have added it now - but please note we do not use this number. 

Matt 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Thanks Matt, but could you add the TalkTalk landline telephone number too

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Thanks Chris, I’ve updated my profile. 

Matt 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 12

OK thanks. Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Yes I experience the same problem when connecting to my mobile hotspot sometimes - which I do frequently to avoid dealing with my wifi issues. However, this isn't as frequent as when connecting to my wifi - where I experience this issue basically every time - and I assumed I could put it down to the strength of the hotspot connection rather than anything else. 

Matt

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

You said earlier that you also experience problems connected to hotspot, do you mean connecting to an external hotspot?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

I haven't moved my PS5 and I'm not in much position to do so, but whenever I ping test my laptop it doesn't seem to matter where in the room I am. 

Matt 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Does it make any difference where the PS5 is situated in your room?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Hi Chris, 

It is usually next to my laptop and monitor, but nothing apart from that. The radiator is on the other side of the room. 

Thanks, 
Matt 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi mwood1,

When the PS5 is in your room is it situated close to any other wireless or electrical devices or large metal objects such as a radiator?

Chris

0 Likes