cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

ROUTER Sagemcom Fast 5464 and setting of Firewall.

Billx
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 45

I would like a newer version of the router firmware and the manual of the router. Usually this is done from the manufacturer. The manufacturer does not have any portal for firmware or manuals. Do you as the ISP have a portal to download new firmware and the manual?

Navigating within the router, there seem to be various faults. I am unable to set the firewall, as it doesn't offer the options required. There are various odd things appearing in the log within the router. I've read some of the posts in the community, and it seems it might be a good idea to disable wireless optimization. Some posts suggest that TalkTalk  are the only ones able to upload any firmware or disable wireless optimization. Does TalkTalk repeatedly monitor and download all my settings? I am not sure what's going on.

0 Likes
44 REPLIES 44

Message 41 of 45

Hi

I've updated the firmware to 174 for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 42 of 45

Thanks for the response @ferguson, @KeithFrench

The default setting is MEDIUM:

LAN -> WAN

Allow all

WAN -> LAN

Block all below

• NETBIOS

I think the HIGH setting is preferable:

LAN -> WAN

Allow all below

• HTTP
  • HTTPS
  • FTP
  • FTP-DATA
  • DNS
  • TELNET
  • SSH
  • IMAP
  • IMAPS
  • POP3
  • POP3S
  • SMTP
  • SSMTP
  • NNTP
  • NTP
  • SMTP-AUTH
  • IPSEC
  • ICMP
  • TRACEROUTE
  • Video2Protect

WAN -> LAN

Block all

HIGH setting is preferable, because it blocks a lot more from the WAN than just NETBIOS. But there is still a problem, because I might want to add or subtract something from that list. If I don't include a majority of of the protocols in this, then what is the firewall for?

So just including just NETBIOS in the default does not sound reasonable.

I will leave that for the time being.

The current version of the firmware is SG4K100158.  I believe there is a newer version, SG4K100174. Is it possible to have this uploaded to this router?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 43 of 45

What are the system log messages that you are concerned about? If you want to paste them in your reply I am sure that I will be able to help with them.

If you can, as @ferguson has said, please can you state which firmware you are on, then I will be able to advise on any specific bugs that you think you are seeing with the GUI.

True there is no official manual, but...

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 45

The router offers four firewall settings: Low; Medium; High and Custom. Medium is the recommended default setting, but you are of course free to change if you wish. Any connectivity issues resulting from that will be down to you though.

You haven't mentioned which firmware version you have, if you do then the support team can check and upgrade if required. This is not something which you can download as a user.

Finally, there is no manual,  although most of the options available viathe user menu are self-explanatory. If you get stuck with anything in particular we are always happy to help here. 

0 Likes