cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

ROUTER Sagemcom Fast 5464 and setting of Firewall.

Billx
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 45

I would like a newer version of the router firmware and the manual of the router. Usually this is done from the manufacturer. The manufacturer does not have any portal for firmware or manuals. Do you as the ISP have a portal to download new firmware and the manual?

Navigating within the router, there seem to be various faults. I am unable to set the firewall, as it doesn't offer the options required. There are various odd things appearing in the log within the router. I've read some of the posts in the community, and it seems it might be a good idea to disable wireless optimization. Some posts suggest that TalkTalk  are the only ones able to upload any firmware or disable wireless optimization. Does TalkTalk repeatedly monitor and download all my settings? I am not sure what's going on.

0 Likes
44 REPLIES 44

Message 1 of 45

It's my understanding that it monitors to provide diagnostic information but I don't know specifically.  I'll ask our product team if they can provide any more information

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 45

Hi, @Chris-TalkTalk,

Agreed, it's not checking the firmware, because that's just been updated.

So what data does it keep taking from me, that it does not know already?

Bill

0 Likes

Message 3 of 45

Hi Bill,

I don't know exactly what it checks but it does check more than just the firmware

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 45

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Please read my post on 23/6/2023.

Once the firmware has already been updated, what is your ACS server trying to check,

and what information is it downloading?

I've asked the question before in different words, but you keep swerving from answering the question I am asking.

Thanks

Bill

0 Likes

Message 5 of 45

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk

Well yes, exactly, why would someone re-update something which has just been reupdated? Obviously.

But that's not the point, your ACS server and the router keep connecting each other, at least twice a day, as recorded in the logs below.

---

23.06.2023 13:55:46 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been closed
23.06.2023 13:55:44 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been initiated
23.06.2023 06:38:23 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been closed
23.06.2023 06:37:55 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been initiated
22.06.2023 17:51:14 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been closed
22.06.2023 17:51:14 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been initiated
22.06.2023 13:55:46 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been closed
22.06.2023 13:55:44 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been initiated

---

Once the firmware has already been updated, what is your server trying to check,

and what information is it downloading?

I've asked the question before in different words, but you keep swerving from answering the question I am asking.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 45

Hi Billx

Do you mean when new firmware is updated?

This is only pushed out (once) when new firmware is available. This is not a daily event. The system will check which firmware version your router has and when new firmware is available then this will be remotely updated by TalkTalk, this usually happens out of hours.

Message 7 of 45

It is probably just a stock page transposed from standard router information into TalkTalk where, as you have been told, it does not apply. Mildly irritating at worst, but surely not so much when you have had it explained to you?

Message 8 of 45

Also, @Chris-TalkTalk, does TalkTalk have to update the customers routers daily or more often, and what information does TalkTalk take, each time it updates?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 45

@Chris-TalkTalk ,

Please view what I have in 5464 version SG4K100174

Billx_0-1687446923868.png

This obviously does not tie in with automatic updating by TalkTalk ISP.

To have automatic updating by TalkTalk ISP, then this setup screen must be DELETED.

Using 'Update' on this screen will do absolutely nothing.

Also, read the 3 steps recommended by the TalkTalk router on the above screen.

Does TalkTalk like just putting nonsense, in their router?

Bill

0 Likes

Message 10 of 45

Hi Bill,

Just to confirm, as Keith and Gliwmaeden2 have been saying, the router firmware is updated remotely by ourselves, there is no option for the customer to do this themselves. Also 174 is the latest firmware and it's the same firmware for both the wifi hub 1 and wifi hub 2 (5363 and 5464). Apologies for any confusion

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 45

I have requested that TalkTalk post on this thread @Billx to confirm what we have been trying to tell you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 45

Yes @Billx 

I realise that you have the 5464 & not the 5364, they are both the same in this respect. It is totally beyond mine or @Gliwmaeden2 control. However, I will pass on your comments to TalkTalk.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 13 of 45

Hi @KeithFrench ,@Gliwmaeden2 

Please view what I have in 5464 version SG4K100174

Billx_0-1687354803347.png

This obviously does not tie in with automatic updating by TalkTalk ISP.

To have automatic updating by TalkTalk ISP, then this setup screen must be deleted.

Please advise Central office to delete it.

Using 'Update' on this screen will do absolutely nothing.

Or give me a contact to advise them myself.

Sorry to go on and on, but this is getting beyond a joke.

Bill

0 Likes

Message 14 of 45

Yes, I just noticed that too. That is the right option. Thanks again.

Message 15 of 45

There's a "browse files to attach" option below the message box, @Billx.

But the point is that, whatever you send, it's not always compatible at the receivers' end, whereas the images are immediately accessible to anybody. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 16 of 45

Yes, I know how to copy a picture into the post. I also was able to attach a file previously, but I have forgotten how to do that. Thanks for now

Bill

0 Likes

Message 17 of 45

I've seen people attach files, but they can't always be opened to read here, @Billx.

More reliable is to take a screenshot of important stuff and load it to the message using the camera or icon function (depends which device you are using). Image icon in message box: 

20230620_224210.jpg

I just take screenshots and use the image icon. Click on it then the  selected image and it loads into the message that you are posting. Then post in the usual way in your thread. 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 45

Thanks, @Gliwmaeden2, Can you please tell me how to do something? I want to attach a text file to a post. Can I do that?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 45

I have read that, @Billx.

The point is that Talktalk routers are locked to Talktalk and the firmware updates go with that.

Whatever is stated elsewhere is not relevant to the specific situation of each ISP, inclusive in their contract.

If you don't want this, you have to use third party routers.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 45

Hi @Billx 

I am not being dogmatic at all.

I know that the firmware page suggests they can be downloaded & installed, but TalkTalk simply does not allow this. Personally, it would save a lot of time if that page simply said how updates are handled by TalkTalk & not give the impression that you can do it yourself.

I cannot answer why they do not publish a manual for it, but that is the case for all of their past routers since I joined TalkTalk as a customer.

Whether any of this is right or wrong, it is TalkTalk policy. The TalkTalk staff on this forum have already backed up everything I have said in previous threads as @Gliwmaeden2 has just pointed out.

Keith