cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Totally unacceptable Speeds on not one but TWO ACCOUNTS!!

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 97 of 97

I have been with TT for years and overall the experience has been quite good.

However, my opinion is drastically changing...

I have the fibre 65 service and was getting about 50-60Mbps but over the last couple of weeks the speed has dropped (or been dropped!) to a pathetic and virtually unusable 6Mbps.

Now I have all the aggravation and time it takes to call TT, to be more than likely told "its my equipment..". I can resolutely guarantee it will not be my equipment / setup, as I am a proper geek and IT Hardware Engineer for the last 35 years, as well as being a Programmer also and like to think I know what I am doing by now! (🤔sarcasm).

As if this is not bad enough, my Mother also has TT Fibre 65, That has been running at between 5-10Mbps for the last 2 years! I rarely go there as it is over 100 miles away and never got round to complaining as it was alot of trouble to drive there and back, so I have left it. However nowdays she streams video and so it has become unuseable, so it looks like I will have to drive 100 miles+, so she can call them and will need me there as she is very elderly and totally untech savvy and will need me present whilst she makes the call

Very disappointed in TT and am considering leaving, no idea why my speed has been drastically been dropped and why they have only provided my elderly Mother with a service that runs at about 8Mbps when it should be 60Mbps ! I think they know she is elderly and very untech savvy and have taken advantage.

Before anyone says 'its your internal wiring, equipment/  extension leads etc', its NOT, that is taken DIRECT from the Input socket on the wall from TT without any extra extensions/ leads etc!

Just wondering if other customers have also had bad experiences such as mine and my Mothers?

Cat lover and slave of x2 Ocicats
0 Likes
96 REPLIES 96

Message 1 of 97

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 97

Engineer visited and has fixed the fault, apparently was connection in cabinet. It 'was not connected properly'quote the Engineer, for some strange reason.

Anyway, he has now re-connected it properly and all is back to normal functionality now.

He has confirmed there will be no Engineer charge, as fault lay in the cabinet, so please do not try and charge us for one again like last time.

Thanks for the help and attention.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 97
0 Likes

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 97

Thankyou Chris for your help and attention.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 97

I've booked the engineer for tomorrow morning - June 30 2023, AM (8am-1pm), please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 6 of 97

Hi Very_slow_TTalk,

I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 97

OK, I've sent you a PM to confirm some details. We can usually get an appointment for next working day or the working day after 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 97

Hi Chris, thanks for the clarification regarding weather etc and see the point you make about damaging the cable, i.e ones own building work or something in the garden where the cable passes through.

That does make me feel more comfortable with the situation and I will go ahead with the Engineer visit under these circumstances that you state.

When can an appointment be arranged? ASAP please as is costing me lost work and time.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 97

If the a fault is found with Openreach equipment then you shouldn't be charged and generally won't be charged but if some error is made by Openreach and you are charged (even though a fault is found with Openreach equipment) then we would remove the charge

If the weather degraded the Openreach cable this would be seen as a fault with Openreach equipment. This is really about the problem being caused by action from the customer such as digging a hole in the garden damaging a cable, having building work done damaging Openreach equipment

Chris

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 10 of 97

Also the irony; if it is classified as 'my responsibility' and I started tampering with it, as I 'owned' it, or the length of cable that passes through my Garden , then I expect Openreach would be up in arms that I was tampering with THEIR cable.  Yet they want to classify it as 'my responsibility',  you cannot have it BOTH ways!

In theory, if the break was on the cable that is passing through my garden then I would be allowed to fix it, as its classified as 'my responsibility' but I bet Openreach would NOT allow that- you cannot tell the consumer its his responsibility and then charge him and only they can fix it!

Not a pleasant tactic or rule in my opinion, pretty out of order.

0 Likes

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 11 of 97

Hi Chris,

I am finding the information on Engineers charges not particularly clear...

Potential chargesPotential charges

That looks to me rather like you could be attempting (again) to charge me?

That does NOT seem very well explained (or written) and it seems geared to pointing out the consumer most likely will infact get charged. 

The only line that offers some hope and not being charged is the last line, "You won't be charged for faults caused by Openreach equipment".

Then, as already pointed out, it seems that the final decision lays with some moron behind a desk who will (or try anyway) to slap the charge on you regardless if it was caused by Openreach equipment or not!

I am not getting a very comfortable feeling over all of this and may need to evaluate if it may not be better to take my custom elsewhere.

Its a "Twice bitten twice shy" or "THREE strikes and your out " kind of scenario, to coin some phrases.

Can you offer some sort of guarantee or more assurance that if the fault is found to be Openreach equipment, then I will not be charged? Also it appears that say if a break was found on the line directly outside my property window, then I would be charged, as the cable passes through my Garden boundaries. How is it my fault that if the weather has degraded the exterior openreach cable, then its my responsibility as it is classified as being in my garden!? In my opinion, the cable outside where it passes into the building is not my responsibility and I do not own it, even if it is passing over my properties garden. The rule SHOULD be any exterior cabling is classified 'Openreach's equipment' and not the responsibility of the customer. That is pretty sneaky transferring the ownership of the cable onto the consumer just because it crosses into the properties boundaries before entering the building! So it appears that maybe 20 foot of exterior cable(that passes into and through my Garden) is classified as MY ownership and responsibility and can be charged for if it is damaged by the weather etc!? That is pretty 'slimy' in my opinion and another tactic geared towards being able to charge the consumer. How is the exterior cable and weather my responsibility!? Ridiculous! The cable once it is in my building, then yes, I can accept, but not the exterior cable directly outside that passes into my garden, I have no control over that and it is not my duty to maintain it, that should be Openreach's responsibility, yet it seems they are 'passing the buck' onto the consumer for this!

I think the point I am making may actually stand up in a Court of Law and maybe Openreach, or the powers that be should re-evaluate this rule? (before they lose yet more custom and trust).

That information provided does not look very assuring to me and it looks like you would be attempting to charge me again.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 97

The engineer will be an Openreach engineer, I'm sorry but we have no control over which engineer Openreach send. Please also see  Engineers charges. The help article explains exactly when you will and won't be charged, I'm afraid we can't proceed with the visit unless you agree to potential engineer charges

Chris

Message 13 of 97

Hmmn, after the last experience with the Engineer, I am hoping your proposed visit will go abit smoother!

I will be going ballistic if the samething happens and someone tries to charge me the 'Engineers Charge', be it the Engineer or TalkTalk themselves, whom it appears may make the final decision as already pointed out.

I will agree to this visit if it will fix the problem but please do not attempt to charge me £75 again. I have had this happen TWO times already (that is two times too many) and if it happens again I most definitely will be taking my custom elsewhere.

Ok so when can this new Engineer appointment be made?

N.B Please do not send the same 'Engineer' that you sent to my Mothers place, he is 'persona non grata' on my premises.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 97

OK, to investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer, if you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 97

Router currently connected to tes socket, remains non functional.Yes that would have been the time - around 2.30pm that the connection mysteriously ceased to work.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 97

I've taken a look at the line history and the connection appears to have been unstable from Sunday evening, error count increased and then connection appears to have dropped at just after 2:30 yesterday afternoon. 

Line test is showing potential fault close to customer premises. Is your router currently connected to your test socket? Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

0 Likes

Message 17 of 97

Have already switched it off and left of for at least 30mins about X4 times. Still not working. As explained, it is a very strange "coincidence' it all stopped working right after I posted yesterday after this dreadful service. It's been fine for months without issues until then! I really cannot be putting up with all this- it's costing me money and time.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 97

Placing a credit on your account or angry posts wouldn't cause a drop in your broadband speed or your Internet connection to drop. 

Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest. If it's then still not working please let me know

Chris

Message 19 of 97

Is my account, not my Mother's, the account that I was using when posting messages, before being disconnected.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 97

Hi Chris, yes obviously are potential problems as it is not working! No apparrent noise on telephone line, that appears to be functional, ethernet and wireless is not connecting.As said the 'disconnection' occurred right after I posted my angry post expressing my dissatisfaction with this nonsense and rogue engineer charge. It seems an extremely strange coincidence that connection 'mysteriously broke' right at this given moment!

0 Likes