cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Totally unacceptable Speeds on not one but TWO ACCOUNTS!!

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 97 of 97

I have been with TT for years and overall the experience has been quite good.

However, my opinion is drastically changing...

I have the fibre 65 service and was getting about 50-60Mbps but over the last couple of weeks the speed has dropped (or been dropped!) to a pathetic and virtually unusable 6Mbps.

Now I have all the aggravation and time it takes to call TT, to be more than likely told "its my equipment..". I can resolutely guarantee it will not be my equipment / setup, as I am a proper geek and IT Hardware Engineer for the last 35 years, as well as being a Programmer also and like to think I know what I am doing by now! (🤔sarcasm).

As if this is not bad enough, my Mother also has TT Fibre 65, That has been running at between 5-10Mbps for the last 2 years! I rarely go there as it is over 100 miles away and never got round to complaining as it was alot of trouble to drive there and back, so I have left it. However nowdays she streams video and so it has become unuseable, so it looks like I will have to drive 100 miles+, so she can call them and will need me there as she is very elderly and totally untech savvy and will need me present whilst she makes the call

Very disappointed in TT and am considering leaving, no idea why my speed has been drastically been dropped and why they have only provided my elderly Mother with a service that runs at about 8Mbps when it should be 60Mbps ! I think they know she is elderly and very untech savvy and have taken advantage.

Before anyone says 'its your internal wiring, equipment/  extension leads etc', its NOT, that is taken DIRECT from the Input socket on the wall from TT without any extra extensions/ leads etc!

Just wondering if other customers have also had bad experiences such as mine and my Mothers?

Cat lover and slave of x2 Ocicats
0 Likes
96 REPLIES 96

Message 41 of 97

@Very_slow_TTalk wrote:

I did make the assumption that it was still connected to the old ADSL setup going by the old twisted 2 pair cable that was feeding the master socket.

Despite claiming to be "a proper geek and IT Hardware Engineer for the last 35 years", you continue to demonstrate an astounding lack of technical knowledge.

Message 42 of 97

The "old twisted 2 pair cable" is still a feature of FTTC/VDSL, the last part of the connection still comes to the premises that way. Only with a Full Fibre service will that be replaced. 

Message 43 of 97

No did not log onto router, I was only there very briefly, just did speed tests and also checked/ looked over the master socket. It did have the old fashioned 2 pair BT cable and yes, I did make the assumption that it was still connected to the old ADSL setup going by the old twisted 2 pair cable that was feeding the master socket.

I guess will see whether it is the old ADSL connection still or as you say, if it has infact been correctly put on the Fibre 35 VDSL and its some form of fault when they look into it tomorrow. Either way, it certainly is not right, giving the dismal 8Mbps DL speed and 0.60Mbps UL!

Hahah- yes the 'Grasshopper' thing, is just a reference to an old TV series I used to watch, called 'Kung Fu'. I often affectionately call people 'Grasshopper' and 'Master'. In your case you got called Grasshopper but now I will call you Master, Master.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 97

So did you actually log into your mother's router and check the connection stats?

Did it say she was still on old fashioned ADSL?

I would have thought that being in a profession for circa 35 years would have made you an expert in the subject.

And what's this Grasshopper thing all about?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 97

@Very_slow_TTalk 

You can easily check which type of service it is by logging into the router interface to see whether ADSL, or VDSL is specified as the connection. What does the package name actually show as in your mother's My Account?

The support team will of course advise further when they are back online from tomorrow. 

0 Likes

Message 46 of 97

You are very complimentary towards me Grasshopper! I must thankyou for this, with much gratitude.

I never said I was an 'Expert' IT Engineer, all I said I was an IT Engineer (and proper Geek) for 35 years, but did not refer to myself as an expert.

However you did refer to me as an 'expert' and I again thank you most profoundly for this marvellous compliment! You are very kind to me Grasshopper and you make me smile, cheek to cheek, with your lovely complimentary posts. 😸

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 47 of 97

@Very_slow_TTalk ,

You say that your evidence "clearly suggests" she is still on the ADSL package. It should be quite easy to see whether the connection type is ADSL if still on the old copper only package or VDSL if she is on the Fibre35 FTTC package if you log into the router admin and check the connection stats page. I would have though that an expert IT engineer such as yourself would have done that rather than guessing the connection type based on the speed.

Staff also informed you a few days ago that their line tests were detecting a potential fault, so I would say it is most likely a fault. I would have thought that staff would have noticed if she was on the wrong connection type.

In an ideal world faults and mistakes would never happen but unfortunately they sometimes do, and you can't really expect an ISP to begin correcting something until you inform them there is a problem.

0 Likes

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 48 of 97

Went to my Mothers place on Saturday and tested the router direct from the Test socket.

No change as I expected. Speed is a dismal 8Mbps and it has been like this ever since we switched to Fibre 35 package (about a year and a half ago).

She previously was on a really slow ADSL TT package before we bought the Fibre 35, called 'TalkTalk Basics' or something and we got EXACTLY the same speed on that, 8Mbps. This clearly suggests we have not even been connected upto Fibre 35 network and have been left connected to this slow 'Basics' ADSL package, which would explain everything. So basically have been paying extra money for Fibre 35 and have been receiving antiquated 'TalkTalk Basics' 8Mbps package for the last coming on 18 months or so!

Rather disappointed with TalkTalk at having been sold and paying for Fibre 35 and getting 'TalkTalk basics'!

Its been miserable experience using it for the last 18months at this speed and is virtually useless other than getting emails and very basic use. It will not even stream video unless in low resolution! 🙄

this baby flies !!!this baby flies !!!

0 Likes

Message 49 of 97

@Very_slow_TTalk, staff are not on here at weekends. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 50 of 97

That looks a lovely cat, sort of unusual looking.

What type of cat is it? She looks very calm and sensible.

0 Likes

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 51 of 97

...and when they grew up :-

Up on a platform 10foot high ...Orange one upside down ....Blonde one tells him off for showing off!Weird eyes, when they were little

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 52 of 97

My two boys, Smokey and Kitten,

About 4 months oldThey really stare at you intently!

two Ocicat brothers, when they were little.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 53 of 97

Haha ahh 🙂

I can't see the pics in your profile 😞

That's my fur baby, Lola. 

DebbieTalkTalk_0-1684500153864.jpeg

Message 54 of 97

Have a look in my profile pics, are some photos of my two children(cats) in there!

Mine are still behave like Kittens, they have never really grown up (abit like me)!

Message 55 of 97
0 Likes

Message 56 of 97

Will do, will leave it plugged directly into the test port, all ready for Monday.

Have a lovely weekend!

Message 57 of 97

Also just noticed, you are a cat lover. Me too 🙂

🐱😸

0 Likes

Message 58 of 97

Hi

That's great, thank you.

Please can you also leave the router at the test socket (just whilst we are investigating)

I will run some more line tests on Monday morning.

0 Likes

Message 59 of 97

Good afternoon Debbie,

yes, it arrived safe and sound at my Mothers house yesterday.

I will go there tomorrow and make the connection into the test socket and post when I have done this.

Thankyou very much again for your care and attention, its very kind of you. 😺

Message 60 of 97

Hi

Has the router arrived?

Thanks

Debbie