cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Totally unacceptable Speeds on not one but TWO ACCOUNTS!!

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 97 of 97

I have been with TT for years and overall the experience has been quite good.

However, my opinion is drastically changing...

I have the fibre 65 service and was getting about 50-60Mbps but over the last couple of weeks the speed has dropped (or been dropped!) to a pathetic and virtually unusable 6Mbps.

Now I have all the aggravation and time it takes to call TT, to be more than likely told "its my equipment..". I can resolutely guarantee it will not be my equipment / setup, as I am a proper geek and IT Hardware Engineer for the last 35 years, as well as being a Programmer also and like to think I know what I am doing by now! (🤔sarcasm).

As if this is not bad enough, my Mother also has TT Fibre 65, That has been running at between 5-10Mbps for the last 2 years! I rarely go there as it is over 100 miles away and never got round to complaining as it was alot of trouble to drive there and back, so I have left it. However nowdays she streams video and so it has become unuseable, so it looks like I will have to drive 100 miles+, so she can call them and will need me there as she is very elderly and totally untech savvy and will need me present whilst she makes the call

Very disappointed in TT and am considering leaving, no idea why my speed has been drastically been dropped and why they have only provided my elderly Mother with a service that runs at about 8Mbps when it should be 60Mbps ! I think they know she is elderly and very untech savvy and have taken advantage.

Before anyone says 'its your internal wiring, equipment/  extension leads etc', its NOT, that is taken DIRECT from the Input socket on the wall from TT without any extra extensions/ leads etc!

Just wondering if other customers have also had bad experiences such as mine and my Mothers?

Cat lover and slave of x2 Ocicats
0 Likes
96 REPLIES 96

Message 61 of 97

You make a very good point there, Grasshopper!

May I also say (in a complimentary tone) that you also are 'highly advanced' at stating the obvious!

😊

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 62 of 97

@Very_slow_TTalk ,

I think my advice to you was very relevant at the time you were having the issue, but for some reason you chose to ignore it.

0 Likes

Message 63 of 97

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 64 of 97

Thankyou Karl (and Debbie), your help has been much appreciated.

🎯

Message 65 of 97

Hi

As soon as the router arrives at your mothers, and is connected, just post back here and we can retest the line.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 66 of 97

Your own words hold some truth : "Possibly something of a moot point now as your speed seems to have recovered..."

🐭

Moot points are considered irrevelant by some people and that may include me also.

🐺

0 Likes

Message 67 of 97

@Very_slow_TTalk wrote:

No I did not power router down for at least 30mins, all I did was switch it on and off as you say (about 1 day ago) and that did nothing to resolve the issue.

Yes, that is the point I was originally trying to make. In situations like the one you had where the sync speed is good but the throughput is much slower than it should be, switching the outer off and leaving it off for 30 minutes before restarting will ensure that you connect with a new session at the cabinet and can often resolve that specific issue. Switching off and straight back on again will probably not help as you will most likely connect back to the same screwed up session as before.

That's why I asked: "have you tried the usual "trick" of switching the modem/router off for a full 30 minutes in order to ensure starting a new "session" at the cabinet upon restart?"

Your response was: "Yes have tried the trick of switching the router on/off to no avail." , completely ignoring the 30 minutes bit.

0 Likes

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 68 of 97

No I did not power router down for at least 30mins, all I did was switch it on and off as you say (about 1 day ago) and that did nothing to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the help again, so nice to have it all working again. Just checked speed agin and its working as it should at a healthy 50Mbps- very happy. 😁Current readingCurrent reading

0 Likes

Message 69 of 97

@Very_slow_TTalk wrote:

No, did not power down router in last 30 mins. As said, I tried that previously to no avail.

Possibly something of a moot point now as your speed seems to have recovered, but you didn't actually confirm whether you previously left the router switched off for at least 30 minutes, all you said was that you switched it off and on.

0 Likes

Message 70 of 97
0 Likes

Message 71 of 97

Many thanks, will let you know when I go to my Mothers over the next few days.

Have a lovely day and thanks for your time and kind assistance.

🐵

Message 72 of 97

Hi

Ahh you're welcome 🙂

The router is now on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let me know once the replacement router (and cables, filter) are at the test socket. I will then run another line test.

Thanks 

Debbie

Message 73 of 97

Hi Debbie, yes when I go there in next few days, I will plug it directly into the test socket as you say to rule out any complications. I always have used this approach in the past as it is sure way to test it, directly into the test port without any leads or suchlike potentially complicating the connection.

Your suggestion of sending out another router also is a good call, if it is the old one causing the issue, which could be a possibility.

Yes, will go through the steps you are suggesting BEFORE arranging the Engineer visit. Best way to go.

Thankyou again for your time and help. 🎂

Message 74 of 97

Hi

It's just so we can rule out any potential faults with the face plate or internal wiring as this is not classed as Openreach maintained equipment.

Would you like me to send a replacement router too so we can also rule this out before an engineer visit?

Message 75 of 97

Hi Debbie, thanks for your help.

I think the router is connected directly to the socket on the wall (in from the street) but not from the internal test socket that maybe behind the plate?

I am over 100 miles away so am unable to be there at present but will plan to go there soon.

0 Likes

Message 76 of 97

Hi

That's great, thank you 🙂

I've completed a line test which has detected a potential fault towards the property.

Do you know if the router is connected at the test socket at the moment?

Message 77 of 97

Thats would be super, many thanks.

I have already added my Mothers details (Account num / Tel num) to my community profile / private notes.

To elaborate further, about 2 years ago (~), before she signed up for the Fibre 35 package, she did have a previous really slow (and relatively cheap) ADSL deal with TT. It was about 6Mbps and as she was a very light user, it suited her needs at that time,  just getting her emails and very basic internet use.

However she since signed up for 'fibre 35' as she had learnt how to do more and wanted to watch videos on Facebook and Youtube. I am wondering if the line has been left connected to this antiquated ADSL setup and she has not even been connected up to the Fibre 35 service, despite paying for it, for coming on two years odd?

Any help in resolving the issue would be greatly appreciated 😃, delighted mine is now back to 50Mbps and can get on with things properly.😺

Message 78 of 97

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

If you add your mums name and TalkTalk landline number to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile, then I can take a look for you.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Very_slow_TTalk
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 79 of 97

@AllyM and @debbie : No, did not power down router in last 30 mins. As said, I tried that previously to no avail.

Just did speedtest at 4.45am this morning and speed has shot up to an acceptable 50Mbps.

Anyway, mysterious or not, problem seems resolved(fingers crossed)!  I am just glad it seems to be working now and thanks for the attention and looking into it, I do appreciate it.

Hoping the same result can be achieved on my Mothers line, that was showing a dismal 8Mbps (as already stated) and had been like that for about the last 2 years (Fibre 35, wired connection, direct from Router).

Message 80 of 97

Hi 

I can't see any work carried out to resolve this fault. Did you recently power down the router for 30 minutes?

0 Likes