cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Very Slow Broadband Upload

DayV2021
Team Player
Private Message
Message 31 of 31

I have been having ongoing problems with broadband speed, particularly with upload speed. I have spend hours on the phone with TalkTalk Technical Service, every time having to try the same routines of turning router off then on, resetting, disconnecting devices and so it goes on.

In 2021 I was experiencing problems with the Huawei router disconnecting repeatedly. I was told a firmware update was on its way. But at least I was getting my agreed upload speed of 2.2mbps.

Changing to a Sagem Router stopped the drop outs, well actually it reconnected if it did drop out, but at the expense of speed. I now get 17mbps download (13mbps guaranteed on Fibre 35), but only 1.4mbps upload (I am told I should get 2.2 / 2.4). 1.4 is not enough for Zoom calls, etc.

So is it the router again? I am also over 1km from the cabinet, and many more houses have been built in the area. I do have a cabinet around the corner, but apparently I cannot be connected to it.

Any suggestions on if the router may be the fault? Interestingly TalkTalk Tech Service say they can see 2.2mbps at my router, but when we look at the router dashboard, it reports back an orange signal with 1.7mbps! 

Andrew
0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 21 of 31

Hi Chris,

Yes, just disconnected the phone line and turned router off. (Now running on my 4G MiFi)

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 22 of 31

OK, could you just temporarily disconnect the telephone then switch the router off for 30 minutes, then switch back on and check to see if the speed has improved 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 23 of 31

Hi Chris,

No, no issues with the phone line. Although to be honest we rarely use it. It is only in place because it is the only phone number my aged mother can remember 😊

Best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 24 of 31

Thanks for the information. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 25 of 31

Hi Chris,

Sorry I have been responding incorrectly, please see below.

We have just the one phone socket, the master one.

Although if it makes any difference, we have one cable coming to the property, which splits to feed both us and our neighbour who is also a TalkTalk customer.

Our master socket feeds a single landline phone and our TalkTalk router.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 26 of 31

Hi Michelle,

I think I responded in the wrong place.

Thanks for your reply. Yes when we had problems last year before the router was replaced TalkTalk sent Openreach who replaced the cable on the outside of the property and fitted a new Master Socket just inside where the cable reaches the outer wall.

When GigaClear put their fibre in the road, they cut the Openreach cable, and when Openreach came along the said the connector was full of water any so probably a cause of signal dropping out. This is all repaired now.

When Tech Support helped last time they had me running directly into the 'test socket' behind the face plate on the master socket . No joy that time.

Please let me know what I can do next.

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

DayV2021
Team Player
Private Message
Message 27 of 31

Hi Chris,

We have just the one phone socket, the master one.

Although if it makes any difference, we have one cable coming to the property, which splits to feed both us and our neighbour who is also a TalkTalk customer.

Our master socket feeds a single landline phone and our TalkTalk router.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 28 of 31

Hi Andrew,

How many telephone sockets do you have?

Chris

DayV2021
Team Player
Private Message
Message 29 of 31

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply. Yes when we had problems last year before the router was replaced TalkTalk sent Openreach who replaced the cable on the outside of the property and fitted a new Master Socket just inside where the cable reaches the outer wall.

When GigaClear put their fibre in the road, they cut the Openreach cable, and when Openreach came along the said the connector was full of water any so probably a cause of signal dropping out. This is all repaired now.

When Tech Support helped last time they had me running directly into the master socket with filters. No joy that time.

Please let me know what I can do next.

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 30 of 31

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks