cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WIFI OPTIMISATION

Chris1012
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

I recently switched to Talktalk broadband and I'm having issues with WIFI optimisation and channel hopping causing certain devices to disconnect from the WIFI network. From reading these pages I understand that a Talktalk employee can disable this feature on my router? Please can this be actioned?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi Chris1012

That's great, thanks for letting us know 🙂

I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Just a quick update - in the ~10 days since you switched off wifi optimisation on my router I have had no more of the random 'WiFi security settings have been successfully saved' messages in the router's log and I have had no more issues connecting to my 3D printer. Hence, as others have posted, the cause of the original issue (devices becoming unresponsive on the network) appears to be down to the wifi optimisation being turned on.

Thanks again for sorting this out for me. I assume any future router firmware updates may switch wifi optimisation back on, if so I'll update this thread.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Chris

That's great. If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Looking at the log I've not had any more of the 'WiFi security settings have been successfully saved' entries (and associated disconnects/reconnects) since you made the change on Friday morning. I've also been able to connect to the 3D printer with no problems. It's early days, but it's looking promising and fits with other reports that disabling wifi optimisation solves the connection issue. I'll let you know if the issue reappears.

Message 5 of 17

Hi Chris

How's the connection been since your last post?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi Chris

No problem. You don't need to reboot the router, the changes have already taken affect.

Thanks 

Debbie

Message 7 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for disabling the wifi optimisation, is there anything I need to do here, i.e. restart the router?

Message 8 of 17

Hi Chris1012

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I've switched the WIFI optimisation off and I will feed this back to our Devices Team.

Please can you retest and let me know how you get on.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Chris,

The issue has happened again this evening (18 April) at around 7pm. Checking the router log there are several entries for 'WiFi security settings have been successfully saved' at around 7pm, followed by devices disconnecting and reconnecting - none of these 'security settings' were instigated by me! I've looked through the community pages and there are several reports of this happening (two linked below), together with devices (printers) being unreachable. I see that in at least one of these cases you were involved. The solution in both of these cases seems to have been to disable the wifi optimisation, but you say this is not possible? Please could you investigate further since this seems to be a documented issue that causes devices to become unreachable on the network.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Wifi-security-settings-have-been-successfully-saved-droppi...

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/WiFi-security-settings-messages-and-devices-offline/td...

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17
0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

It happened a couple of times over the past week, but I couldn't give you dates and times. When it happens again I'll note the date/time and add to this post.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Ok, thanks. If you could give a couple of dates and times when you experience the problem we could ask our Product team to take a look to see if there's anything that could be causing the problem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Everything else appears to be fine, it's just the 3D printer that I can't connect to some of the time. I'm sure setting and fixing the wifi channel number would help, but if this is not possible in the router then a restart of the printer solves the issue.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

OK thanks, do your other device appear to be OK, is it just the 3D printer that you're experiencing problems with?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Hi Chris,

The device is only a few feet away from the router. I had a similar issue with my previous ISP/router (SKY) and it was partly solved by setting the channel number in the router (it would still disconnect, but not as often). It's not a big issue since the device (a 3D printer) isn't used everyday and a restart makes it connect again to the wifi.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry, we are unable to disable wifi optimisation at the moment. Approximately how far are the device experiencing the disconnections, from the router?

Chris

0 Likes