cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WiFi disconnection & WiFi Optimisation

DanMay94
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 16

Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help.

Over the last few weeks I have been having issues with devices on the network not getting an internet connection. Devices - mostly been using my iPhone to troubleshoot - will remain connected to the WiFi, however they will not have a connection. Simply toggling the WiFi on and off on the device quickly fixes the issue. I have tried resetting the router, and this only works temporarily.

I have tried manually setting a channel for the 2.4 and 5ghz networks, and this can fix the drops out for a day or two - however at random the router selects a different channel and the issues persist again.

I have seen there are a lot of posts on this forum about WiFi optimisation on the router and this being the issue. Is anybody out there able to confirm that this is the issue and if it is something talktalk acknowledge with the router?

If this is the case - can somebody from talk talk disable this setting on my router? As I say - I can pick my own channel and everything seems to work fine - but as there is no user setting to turn WiFi optimisation off the router just has a mind of its own.

I will stress that I do not want to factory reset the the router - despite me thinking this won’t make a difference, I have had previous issues with getting my Xbox to stay on an open NAT, and after much work I have finally got this sorted.

Cheers guys!

Dan

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Morning Dan,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

DanMay94
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 16

Hi Debbie,

Yes James has been in touch and has been very helpful and understanding, as have you. I think we’re on the way to a solution. Thank you very much for your help, and I will be back in touch if I have any further issues in the future.

Thanks again!

Dan

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi @DanMay94 

How are you getting on? Have you spoken to James again?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi @DanMay94 

The team (James) is calling you this morning.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi Dan

I thought this would be the case. Let me speak to the team again now.

Thanks

0 Likes

DanMay94
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 16

Hi Debbie,

Yes the issue occurred before, which is what led me to split the SSIDs as I thought that might resolve the issue…

Many thanks,

Dan

Message 8 of 16

Hi Dan

Apologies, let me chase them now.

Just one thing I wanted to check, I can see that you have split the SSIDs. Did this issue happen before the SSIDs were split?

0 Likes

DanMay94
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 16

Hi Debbie,

I haven’t heard anything yet…

Additionally, I have had the issue twice since we last spoke yesterday.

Dan

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi Dan

Did our faults escalation team contact you yesterday?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

I've raised this over to our faults escalation team now and they will contact you as soon as possible.

Debbie

0 Likes

DanMay94
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 16

Hi Debbie,

Yes that is absolutely fine.

WiFi optimisation may not be the issue - but as I say I have seen several posts in this forum who are all having similar issues and point to this setting as the cause. It does seem odd the router doesn’t allow the user to manually select a WiFi channel and keep in there. If you guys are able to disable this WiFi optimisation setting on my router so I can try it, that would be appreciated. 

Many thanks,

Dan

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi Dan

I will need to raise this to our faults escalation team so they can take a look. They will also contact you to discuss, will this be ok?

0 Likes

DanMay94
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 16

Hi Debbie

Rebooting the router does fix it for a bit, but trouble is I’m getting the issue several times a day, so resetting the router every time this happens isn’t ideal.

As I say in my post - if I manually set a WiFi channel to either the 2.4 or 5ghz channels, then it can work for a day without one disconnect - however, when this does eventually happen again, I go in to the routers setting and I can see the WiFi channel has changed. 

It’s worth noting every device in the home is having connection issues - so it isn’t confined to just a single device.

Many thanks,

Dan

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 16

Hi Dan

Can I just check, when you start to experience this issue, have you tried rebooting the router straight away?

0 Likes