cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi Hub Router keeps losing power

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 26

My Router has started to intermittently lose power, pressing the power button at the back sometimes switches it back on, sometimes it loses power again after a few seconds

I need a new router if possible please

I cannot get any help over the phone or from the live chat as it's all automated and neither understands what the issue is

Any help appreciated

Chris

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi Chris,

Has the replacement router arrived?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 26

I've ordered another router, it should be with you within a couple of days. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 26

Hi Chris

Exactly the same issue tonight where the connection keeps dropping every 10 or so seconds, but i did have the same issue this time on my iphone so may not be isolated to my pc.

and again a quick power down for 30 seconds of the router and it's all ok again.

Like i said before I never had this with the old router, but i can't keep having to power down and back up again espcially during the working day as it's extremely dispruptive

Could you send another router out to test and make sure it's not a hardware fault on the one sent last week?? I can then send theoriginal broken one and the one i currently have that's faulty back to you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

OK thanks, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 26

I've just done a 30 second rebbot of the router and it seems to have fixed the issue for now.

I've not rebooted the PC, or swithced any processes or processess off

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 26

It's wifi.

But I've tested another wifi connection on my laptop in the same location in the house and everything was fine.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 26

Does the PC connect to the router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 26

Also If i do a reset on the router it can sometimes fix the issue, but not with 100% success rate

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 26

I do use AVG antivirus, but i uninstalled that and retested and it made no difference

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

Hi Chris,

Do you have any security software on your PC. If you have and it's had a recent update this could potentially cause problems

Chris

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 26

Hi Chris

It does look like this may be an issue local to my PC as I cant replicate the problem on my laptop, iphone or ipad.

However I did not experioence this with the old router so I'm at a loss as to what is causing the issue, as I cannot identify any programs or processess running in the background that are causing the issue.

I'll do some more digging and see if I can figure it out

If you've got any insight as to what could be causing it or how to rectify then please let me know

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Hi Chris,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, is there any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 26

UPDATE:

SoI cant get thenold router to stay on long enought to connect and the new router even after another 30 minute power down has the same issue, stable for 10 seconds then drops uot and a slow climb back up. there are no other devices connected when i'm doing the tests.

in the attached screenshot you can clearly see the drops on both download and upload. they are always nearly always in the same place in the process.

I never had this problem before the new router so i can only assume it's either faulty or is causing an issue on the line

Any more help appreciated

speedtest.png
0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 26

Hi Debbie,

I've still got issues with the new router.

I've tested with no other devices cponnected and it seems that we get a stable connection (around 52mbs) for about 10 seconds then it drops to lower than 6mbs and slowly climbs back up.

This is also the case for uploads (from 18mbs to almost nothing then a steady climb)

I've tried to reboot as before and it becomes sdtable for a short time but then the problem persists.

Currently the new router is unusable in its current state oin my opinion

I still have to old router as I've notmade it to the post office yet so I''ll reconnect that to see if it works ok, but i've never had this problem with the old one. Can you test the line and make sure it's not a line fault?

If there seems tro be no issues with the old router or the line could we have onther replacement sent?

I'll let you know progress with the old router tomorrow

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26
0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 26

No no other devices are connected currently.

I've just powered down for 30 minutes as advised, and it does seema little better, I'll continue to monitor it over the next few days and let you know if it's still not right

0 Likes

Message 17 of 26

Hi Chris

Are any other devices in use and uploading at this time?

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 26

Doing some more speed tests it looks like the download speed is ok at about 60mbs initially then after about 8 seconds it drops to 8mbs

I'll power down for the 30 mins later and see if it improves

0 Likes

Message 19 of 26

Hi Chris

It's up to you, you could monitor it first for a couple of days to see if the connection starts to improve.

Do you have any wired devices experiencing the same issue?

0 Likes

ChrisAllen76
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 26

I've literally only just installed it this morning, would powering down have any positive effect if it's only been on for half an hour?

0 Likes