cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Auto-forwarding erratic

Jehu4419
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

I have found several important emails that have got stuck in my talktalk inbox even though I have auto-forwarding permanently switched on. Is there anything I or talktalk can do to make auto-forwarding reliable please? 

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 4

I recommend you select the TalkTalk notification message in the Gmail spam folder and select the button Report as not spam.

This will move the message to the Gmail Inbox and tell Gmail to deliver your future TalkTalk notification mail into the Inbox.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Jehu4419
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 4

Thanks for this reply. I have only just seen it after checking my Gmail spam. I'm on holiday but will try sorting out the problem when I get home. There are other helpful answers in the community. From a quick glance it seems to me that "improvements" or software upgrades all too often cause difficulties. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Are you using auto-forwarding from your TalkTalk mailbox to another email service? You say emails are stuck in your TalkTalk Inbox so I assume that what you have set up is an auto forward from TalkTalk but not ticked to keep a copy of the message. 

This would suggest that the auto-forward rule has not successfully completed because the redirect could not be done. Have you checked that the final receiving mailbox is not full or near to capacity / mail quota?

It's far more reliable to collect mail messages from a mailbox rather than rely on auto forwarding. Any originating mail service that has set a strict authentication policy of not allowing other mail servers to send on mail messages can find their emails are either not accepted by the destination mailbox or tagged as spam.

Over the last few years more mail services demand fully authenticated mail. Simple auto forwarding will break the authentication of the original message.  Techniques to reauthenticate auto forwarded mail have been developed via SRS and ARC. SRS is Sender rewriting service - the forwarding mail service rewrites the email header to authenticate the forwarding servers. But this potentially breaks the DKIM digital signing of the email. So ARC was developed which is Authenticated Received Chain that authenticates the original mail message and forwards it with the authentication results.  You're then reliant on the receiving mail service to be able to implement ARC.

TalkTalk does not implement either SRS or ARC. Therefore auto forwarding of received mail that has a strict authentication policy is highly likely to fail anyway.  Have you noted the failures to be always from the same originators?

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution