cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Correct e-mail settings for onetel accounts

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 71 of 71

Hello Gondola. I guess it is OK to but in on this topic now there are no more replies but I have a similar problem. Suddenly I can longer send emails using my onetel email address because I get messages saying that the SMTP server is unavailable (I wonder why) and I have had no notification from Talktalk that the email settings have changed. From what I have read above, my settings are correct. I am using Mac Mail. 

I am afraid I can get no sense using the Chat line and I am unable to contact Talktalk. I know it's a long shot but can you offer any ideas please? Regards. Brian.

0 Likes
70 REPLIES 70

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 71

I have just had my first ever email from Talktalk with an explanation of the changes they are making and I was given new email settings for Talktalk emails but it will not let me enter my Full Email Address as the Account name because it already shows Talktalk only and cannot be altered. Anyone any ideas please?

Still no mention of Onetel email settings.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 71

No mailboxes / accounts are disabled for the planned migration to the new mail platform. The only features disabled are the ability for users to create new talktalk.net addresses and delete old mailboxes.

If you are seeing in your primary talktalk.net webmail sign in that the onetel account is disabled then that's because the onetel password for that added onetel account needs correcting. TalkTalk webmail sign in > Settings menu > Settings menu item > Accounts > Onetel account - select Edit > correct the password > Save

But you can still sign in to the onetel mailbox via the webmail sign in using the onetel email address and current password so long as you first sign out of the talktalk account.

We covered this in 2020 here: Onetel email setup

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 71

Yes what you said in your first paragraph is what I used be able too do but when Talktalk rang me, they said the onetel account had been disabled whilst they were working on the changes whatever they were. It's causing me a few problems because I have a lot of people and organisations that might need to contact me. I'm trying to work through them at the moment to give them my Talktalk address to use instead.

With reference to your second paragraph. I don't know what the planned work is as Talktalk did not say. All they did say was that they were working on major changes to their system and it would take a long time to complete. It's a bit worrying that they do not tell people in advance. We only find out by accident when trying to solve our problems. What you said about the time scale makes me distrust what I was told by Talktalk but maybe that was to placate me.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 71

TalkTalk Mail users can add to a primary account a secondary added account.

On the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in for the talktalk.net account you may see in the left Folder view panel that you have added the onetel account. If that account has the correct onetel password and you don't see an Account disabled error message then when composing new messages you can select via a drop-down list which email account to send from.

I'm not aware of notifications of planned work for TalkTalk Mail due to complete in August. If you mean the migration of mailboxes to a new mail platform that is notified as commencing late July and complete by the end of October. Individual notifications will go out to users with a target date for migration. If you've been told in advance for your accounts to be migrated then for you maybe August is the date.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 71

Hello Gondola, thanks for the information and explanation. I understand, it is a puzzle though because I used to have both my Onetel and Talktalk accounts showing on Webmail and I could choose which one to use. However I can still use my Talktalk on Webmail and MacMail and look forward to the completion of Talktalk's alterations at the end of August. Best wishes. Brian

0 Likes

Message 26 of 71

The onetel mailbox is entirely separate from the talktalk mailbox. Issues with your broadband connection may stop you connecting to the mail servers in a timely manner but that's also not a mailbox issue.

It's not logical that one mailbox will be confused with the other at TalkTalk;s end so we'd need to have you illustrate what's happening with a screenshot after redacting the first part of the email address.

But here's what I think is happening in relation to webmail sign in and why.

A browser will support only one authenticated webmail sign in at a time. So you can sign in to the primary TalkTalk mailbox and send TalkTalk mail messages. However, you must sign out of that mailbox before signing in to the onetel mailbox using both the onetel email address and then the onetel password to be able to compose and send onetel mail messages from the onetel mailbox.

TalkTalk have implemented a new sign in process that's required for the upgrade of mailboxes to the new Cloud 8 mail platform. Previously, selecting the sign in page would detect an active session cookie and take the user back to the signed in mailbox. But the new process allows users to enter a new email address on the sign in page even when still signed in to an already authenticated mailbox. This may lead you to believe you've just signed in to the onetel mailbox (without a password) but in fact you're still signed in to the talktalk mailbox. Select Portal from the header to see which mailbox you're viewing.

So the essential tip is to sign out of the mailbox before signing in to the next.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 71

I've just had a call from Talktalk's CEO office responding to errors shown on My Account Line Test. After an hour on the phone they have come to the conclusion that the problem is as a result of the upgrading being done to their system which will not be completed until the end of August, so I either have to be patient and put up with it or move on. At this moment I can neither send emails with Onetel or Talktalk.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 71

Ady it seems obvious to me that the Onetel email problem is unsolvable because of the way the Onetel and Talktalk accounts have been combined so even though it will cause me other problems initially, I have decide to abandon the Onetel account, so if I just delete the account from my computer, would you be able to ensure that its address will not be combined with the Talktalk address when I use it?

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 71

I forgot to say, it adds the Talktalk address and the Onetel address together. I can't send an individual email using one or the other.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 71

Yes, correct.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 71

When you login to webmail with your onetel address and password it allows you to login? Then when you type a new mail it adds the TalkTalk address instead?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 71

Ady, I have just checked my server settings again for Onetel and I still have the problem I had before because the account could not be verified when I clicked Save and I guess the reason is because I can't type in the Onetel email address in the Outgoing server settings and that is because the box shows "Onetel Offline".

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 71

Ady, I have never received any notification from Talktalk about changing settings.

I can still access my webmail but still can't send Onetel emails. When I type the Onetel address in, it shows the Talktalk address as well which defeats the object of my using my Talktalk address for private means.

Using my MacMail, I can now longer send Talktalk emails either. The Mail Connection Doctor still shows that the SMTP server is off line so how can it work?

0 Likes

Message 34 of 71

I've had confirmation that the mailbox has not been limited. You should have full service on that mailbox. The settings Gondola has provided are correct and the only settings that can now be used for any TalkTalk mail domain. Every current mailbox was sent emails advising of the need to change to the new settings.  Are you still able to access the mailbox via webmail?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 71

Thanks for that Gliwmaeden2.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 71

Thanks for that Gondola.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 71

Hello Ady, I am afraid things are getting worse. I can no longer send onetel emails from my webmail. The account has now been disabled and I can't resurrect it. Gondola mentioned that the Onetel server settings had been changed and people should have been notified of the new settings. I have not except Gondola gave me some settings which I am afraid did not work. In every case messages show that the SMTP server is offline.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 71

I'm getting careless, I mean Ady, not Any.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 71

OK, thanks Any

Message 40 of 71

Hi brbrown, thanks for adding the email address to your profile. The tool isn't showing accurate information regarding limited status at present so I've asked one of the network team to check for me and let us know. 

Ady