cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email password needs to be reset

aovh34
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

The problem I've got is that I'm suddenly unable to read my emails from
the mailbox ( i**.m*******@talktalk.net ) with OutLook.
The error I get is "Authorization failure".
I've been using Outlook on this mailbox for years now without any problems
and I've never used WebMail on it.

So, anyway, it looks like my password needs to be reset.
However, when I try to reset it myself, it wants to send the reset link
to the problematic mailbox, which I don't have access to right now.

Btw, I have 5 mailboxes set up and this is the only one I'm having
problems with.

So, can anyone help ??

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 5

Hi aovh34,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can look into this further

Thanks

Chris

Message 2 of 5

The later releases of Outlook 2016 are certainly supported on TalkTalk Mail on Windows 10 or 11. You'll be able to use the recommended email settings - Incoming mail: mail.talktalk.net - 993 - SSL/TLS Outgoing mail: smtp.talktalk.net - 587 - STARTTLS and outgoing authentication. As you cannot access webmail I'd proceed as though the email account password has been compromised and scan email devices to remove potential virus, trojan or other malware.

A weak password or compromised email account can trigger a password reset or blocking of the mailbox to help secure customer data.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Private Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address. Also requested will be the alternate email address and mobile number for password recovery Reset details.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password.

Use the new password to access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages. Hackers set up or modify Filter rules to spy on your emails.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header (cog icon for mailboxes migrated to the new mail platform)
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings / All settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red   
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know if you need more guidance.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 5

First of all, many thanks for the reply.

Well, I've tried to log into TalkTalk email with various passwords and have had no joy whatsoever.

Also, I'm using OutLook 2016 and have been for quite some time.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

You've not set up password recovery for the email account which means that TalkTalk will have to verify that you are the registered email user and then authorise the setting up of password recovery Reset details.

But first have you tried the sign in to webmail to see if the last known password is working?

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address, select Continue and enter the password, select Sign in.

Sign back into Community, let me know the outcome and we'll progress from there. At the same time, tell me what version of Outlook you're using.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution