cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email problems

Murrell
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

Have suddenly been unable to log in to my Tiscali email account on both my Android and Thunderbird. Suddenly started getting the message: "Couldn't verify account. The user name or password is incorrector POP3/IMAP access isn't turned on for this account. Check your email account settings on the web, then try again" I changed the password, but got the same error message. I have a second Tiscali email account which is behaving normally. Both are fine if I go direct to TT webmail.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Thanks for letting us know. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Murrell
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 2 of 13

Brilliant stuff guys.

Changed to a stronger password and seems to be ok now on both Android and Thunderbird, so I guess that was indeed the problem.

Will let you know if there's a glitch, otherwise thank you so much for your help.

Message 3 of 13

Thanks Ady.

So, @Murrell that suggests if the incoming and outgoing server settings are correct then either the Username or password presented isn't correct. The usual problem is that the new upgraded password hasn't been successfully changed in the email software. 

You did upgrade the password and didn't just assume that because webmail worked it should work with an email client? If so that's a wrong assumption because the servers will reject a weak password.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 13

Hi Murrell and Gondola, I've checked and the mailbox isn't restricted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Murrell
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for your help. Have updated.

Message 6 of 13

OK, that suggests your mailbox has been limited to webmail only access. I'll request TalkTalk to have a look and see if that's the case. They'll need to know which tiscali email address is the one that's not working so add that to your Community profile, Personal Information, Private Notes with a side note to make it clear that's the address that needs checking.

Select here: Update your profile

Murrell
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 7 of 13

Firstly, thanks for your patience.

The email address not working is listed in My Acoount, and I can access the mail via TalkTalk webmail with no problem.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy A41, Android version 12. I entered the settings you mention, but was still getting the error message.

Likewise, the settings in Thunderbird are as you have mentioned, but I get the message 'Login to server mail.talktalk.net with user name etc' failed. The password is obviously the same as I enter in TT webmail, which is recognised ok.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

OK, but to determine what help you need I still need to know:

• Is your email address that's not working actually listed in your active customer MyAccount?
  • What's the Samsung model number and the Android Operating System version?
  • What are the incoming and outgoing server settings for the Samsung email app?
  • What's the PC Operating System?
  • What are the incoming and outgoing server settings for Thunderbird?

Starting with the Samsung email app setup for an IMAP email account:

The Samsung email app server settings are:

IMAP Incoming server: mail.talktalk.net

Security type: SSL

Port: 993

SMTP Outgoing server: smtp.talktalk.net

Security type: TLS

Port: 587

Require authentication to send emails: ON

And concluding with the Thunderbird email client setup for an IMAP email account:

The Thunderbird manual configuration for incoming and outgoing servers is:

IMAP : tiscali.co.ukIMAP : tiscali.co.uk

If prompted to enter the password then tick the Save / Remember password box then enter the correct password.

Message 9 of 13

Thanks. I do use Amazon Fire stick occasionally, I realise that's another issue.

For email, I use Samsung email on my android, and Thunderbird on my PC.

Both were working fine until a couple of days ago. I also had issues, after many years with none, on Outlook email. So much so, that I ended up uninstalling it, and going over to Thunderbird.

It's strange how these things can work perfectly for, literally, years with no problems.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

the device that's allegedly consuming your download speed is an Amazon device. What Amazon devices are you using at present? e.g. is the Android device an Amazon Fire tablet maybe?

Anyway, let me know what devices you use with email as this topic is about how you use email.

0 Likes

Murrell
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

I see that

40:A9:CF:DA:58:1D
is consuming my download speed, whatever that means.

I am struggling to understand any of this. One is working, the other isn't. This has happened suddenly.

I'll try and get my head around what you're asking and try to let you know.

Really appreciate your help.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

I see you've upgraded the password so a successful password change will be compliant with security requirements. If webmail is working but the other two email software clients are not working with the new password then that does mean the mailbox is restricted to webmail only access.

There are two possible reasons for this:

• The mailbox is not added to your currently active customer MyAccount
  • The incoming and or outgoing email server settings on either device are not using secure encryption to the TLS 1.2 standard protocol

Let us know what you see in your customer MyAccount and what email software version you're using and what the server port settings are. It's possible that you may need TalkTalk assistance but your answers will help to choose the right course of action.