cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Emails from onetel accounts not being delivered

1Cherry1
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Since 7th Nov 2023 many emails sent from my onetel account are not being delivered.

Even if I send an email to myself it is not delivered.

If I send emails via Gmail they are delivered.

The onetel emails appear in my send items in Thunderbird.

The only way I know emails are not delivered is a lack of response.

Any idea what is going on?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

The TalkTalk Mail servers will authenticate secure sending of TalkTalk Mail via any UK network. TalkTalk Mail servers cannot send non-TalkTalk messages.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 6

Hi

I used an old setting I saved and this seems to work now to send emails:

Server Name: smtp.talktalk.net
Port: 587

Connection Security:  STARTTLS
Authentication Method: Normal password
Username: full onetel email address e.g.  XXX@onetel.com

====
1.  If I am connected to a TalkTalk ISP connection can I use TakkTalk smtp servers to send email from any email address in Thunderbird using?:

Server Name: smtp.talktalk.net
Port: 587

Connection Security:  STARTTLS
Authentication Method: Normal password
Username: full TalkTalk email address e.g.  XXX@Talktalk.net

2. Can I use the above to send emails from any email address via Thunderbird when not connected to a TalkTalk ISP?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

All TalkTalk mail messages whether talktalk.net, onetel.com, or any of the tiscali.co.uk legacy family, must use the talktalk.net servers only and secure ports only with encryption to the TLS 1.2 standard and authentication by the password for the TalkTalk sending email address. This will work via any network including Sky broadband. So there's no restriction any more for onetel users that previously had only the option of insecure mail sending that had to be authenticated via the TalkTalk network.

TalkTalk do not authenticate the sending of non TalkTalk mail messages. Use of other mail servers will not provide full authentication for TalkTalk Mail messages, so, use only the TalkTalk servers.

I think you should check the Thunderbird settings for the onetel email account. Screenshot the incoming and outgoing SMTP server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address, upload here using the camera icon above this reply area.  I'll assess for you.

1Cherry1
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Thanks. It works via the app.

It seems there are soft bounces.

Can you clarify a point?

1. In the past I could use Thunderbird email client on my laptop and send onetel emails whereever I was and whichever ISP I was connected to using onetel or talktalk smtp servers (and using a onetel login and password authentication).

2. Now I cannot do this. I can only use a onetel smtp server if I am connected to a TalkTalk internet connection when using Thunderbird to send onetel emails.

If I am at my parent's home and I use their Now/Sky Broadband connection then onetel emails will not be sent when using Thunderbird despite the onetel smtp server username and password authentication.  This effectively means onetel/Talktalk emails can only send email when at home (or connected to TalkTalk internet) if using Thunderbird. To send onetel email from another location/ISP webmail must be used.

Effectively, onetel/talktalk emails are useless to a user that uses Thunderbird and is often out and about.

BT/Plusnet allow emails to be sent using Thunderbird using their smtp servers when connected to any ISP if authneticated by a BT/Plusnet username and password. TalkTalk do not any more.
Am I correct?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

Sign in to your onetel online mailbox and select new email to compose and send yourself a message. Check that the email goes into the Sent folder and that there's no error message on sending. Then check the email arrives in and stays in the Inbox.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail onetel email address, select Continue and enter the onetel password, select Sign in.

Let us know if there's a problem signing in and or creating a new email and then sending to test the mailbox is working as expected.

0 Likes