cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

My Mum's Account has been hacked

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 53 of 53

Hello,

I talked to your support last night for over an hour, but the problem still exists.

My mum is over 80 and her webmail account has been taken over.

See attached transcript docx

She is locked out and being threatened by a hacker.

I am trying to help her as she is partially sighted and I live over 300 miles away.

I thought we had stopped the attack by changing the recovery details. But they now seem to be back to the hackers details, a German outlook.de address?

There is no way off changing the recovery details back to her?

0 Likes
52 REPLIES 52

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 53

I am trying to change passwords for some of my mums accounts, but as the verify details go tho her talktalk email, I cant!

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 53

Hi Ady, no I dont have power of attorny. So we are stuck. the account might get haked again as we cant get into it but the hacker can.

I give up PLEASE DELETE THE ACCOUNT

0 Likes

Message 23 of 53

Hi Neil, the only person who can request the change of password reset is the registered user or their nominated contact. That's going to be a problem for us. The email is attached to mum's old account not your current one. Are you a nominated contact on the old account I.E. power of attorney?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 53

Hi Support team,

Can some assists as Ady seems to be offline.

I am now seeing the old recovery details for my mum.

The problem is the the email is talktalk and the phone number is an old one.

I need the phone, or the email or both changing so i can change the password.

regards, Neil.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 53

There are no staff back on here before Monday, @Claptnei1.

Community stars can't help with this matter.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 53

Can anyone else help me see Ady is not available today please?

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 53

Hi Ady, I have now received her phone and checked it thoroughly for malware. It is clean and all apps and security are up to date. Please can we start the process of getting her talktalk email account back.

Thanks Neil.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 53

Just to round this off for you. In order to get an email address deleted there's a process as part of the Right to Be Forgotten process. If you click on the link it will take you to the process and gives details of what's required. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 29 of 53

If she still live where she used to she should be able to find a tech shop that can do the scans and clean for her. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 30 of 53

The mailbox is suspended and safe for now. 

Ady

Message 31 of 53

You absolutely must change the password/s don't just delete or the hacker will still have all the access they currently have.

Ady

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 53

Ady, please suspend her account. I dont know why she still uses it really as she left Talktalk years ago. I will get her phone couriered to me to scan and probably factory reset it and start a fresh. Thanks

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 53

OK please suspend here account. I have told her to turn the phone off till it can be scanned.

0 Likes

Message 34 of 53

I should add without being there and seeing the av results its not possible to say its just mail or just TalkTalk webmail or whatever. I'm not trying to scare you, I just need you to be aware of the possibilities.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 35 of 53

I can't delete it and if I could I'd need her to confirm data protection info to do it. The quickest and best is to suspend it. BUT that doesn't protect any other software on her phone. They could have access to anything she might use. The phone has to be cleaned with AV and Malware cleaner and then passwords reset for anything that might have been compromised. That could include banking facebook whatsapp so and so forth. 

Ady

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 53

Please delete her account ASAP!

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 53

I give up. I hate hackers and technology!

0 Likes

Message 38 of 53

It won't help. They'll still have her passwords etc. She needs to get them off the phone, then change the passwords. 

Ady

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 53

There is no one there to assist her as my date is a total technophobe 😭.

Looks like I am going to have to tell her to bin the phone.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 53

You can't do it remotely. Does she have someone local to her who can help? Any banking/email etc may be susceptible if there's a trojan, keylogger etc on the phone. 

Ady

0 Likes