cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

My Mum's Account has been hacked

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 53 of 53

Hello,

I talked to your support last night for over an hour, but the problem still exists.

My mum is over 80 and her webmail account has been taken over.

See attached transcript docx

She is locked out and being threatened by a hacker.

I am trying to help her as she is partially sighted and I live over 300 miles away.

I thought we had stopped the attack by changing the recovery details. But they now seem to be back to the hackers details, a German outlook.de address?

There is no way off changing the recovery details back to her?

0 Likes
52 REPLIES 52

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 41 of 53

What do you suggest I do to run a Virus /Malware test on her Android phone please?

0 Likes

Message 42 of 53

Ok here's what I can do to fix this right now. I can get her account suspended and leave it at that until someone can do the absolutely essential anti virus and malware scans done. If we just reset the password it will be back in the hands of the hackers in moments. 

Ady 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 43 of 53

How do I PM you and can I give you my deatails (email and phone number) to reset as she is eldery and partialy sighted?

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 53

So i basically have to trave 600 mile round trip to check her phone before we can do the recovery?

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 53

I cant get to her phone to run virus check either?

0 Likes

Message 46 of 53

That's the one. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 47 of 53

She must have opened a message with a trojan in it. So the antivirus and malware are critical. 

Ady

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 48 of 53

I assume you did this for my mums account?  obscured for customer security

0 Likes

Message 49 of 53

I'll need you to PM an alternate email address and mobile number for the password reset tool. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 50 of 53

I've turned off the forwards and asked that we suspend the account until you can get the anti virus scans run. Unfortunately any mails they have already taken via the forwards are gone for good. I'll keep monitoring the mailbox in case they reset the forwards up. 

Ady

0 Likes

Claptnei1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 53

Hi Ady,

She got the email on her phone not pc. As I said I am 300+ miles away and she is partially sighted.

The password rest does not work and it sends to the scammers email and phone number.

I need access to her account to secureit for her?

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 52 of 53

Hi Claptnei1, first job is to run antivirus and malware scans on every internet connected device she has. Once that's completed go to webmail and make sure it's logged out. If not log out. Once that's done then you can reset the password. Do not reset the password until you've cleaned the devices or the hackers will regain access as they'll have your newly set password. 

Ady

0 Likes