cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

My e-mail notifications are not appearing in the webmail tab

Siouxsie77
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

For a few weeks now - I have not been receiving any notifications in the TalkTalk wemail tab. I have made sure the settings are correct and "notifications' are checked. TalkTalk cannot help.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

I sent a chaser on Friday. I'll check with the team again tomorrow when they're back in. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Asking for their thoughts ought to have got a fast response. Yes, they can see the issue and will investigate, for example.

So as they haven't responded do you think you could raise fault tickets for each of us? Unless Open Xchange have already got this as a bug we already know that they're going to treat it as a low priority issue because it's not service limiting. So the issue needs to be pushed. Just as we need notifications to be pushed from their end. Just a thought.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

I've had nothing back from the email team yet.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk 

The Push Notifications from Community are still working. There is an indication on both full and pinned tabs.

So, any news on why the Push Notifications from TalkTalk Mail have disappeared? Has the middleware config been changed?

Message 5 of 14

I've asked the mail team for their thoughts on this. I'll post back as soon as I hear from them. 

Ady

Message 6 of 14

God bless you my friend.

How much nicer this "community" is than Google ... they always make you feel guilty for having disturbed them - or give one sentence replies!

Message 7 of 14

And I've tested the Gmail desktop browser and that's showing a notification for received messages exactly as BT Mail is. Although no notifications for Yahoo Mail.

I will raise the lack of push notifications for TalkTalk Mail to find out if there have been any recent changes (say around one to two weeks ago?) to the configuration or service for those push notifications.

Hopefully, we'll get a reply from TalkTalk Support next week sometime.

Message 8 of 14

Well, these things usually happen when there is an update to the system ... and when the next one comes around everything returns to normal ... let's hope so .... or I will stick with gmail.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Sue

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Thank you.

Yes, I only use my chromebook at home and if I take my tablet out I don't open up my emails.

I have now started using tabs for my gmail account - and I always get notifications in the same way I did for TalkTalk (with sound as well). That is why I am thinking of changing to gmail for everything.

BTW - I thought it might be because I do not accept cookies .... so I turned them back on .... but it has made no difference. 

Of course, there was a day when we never had notifications for anything - and we survived. But I have just gotten used to service providers notifying me .... everyone else seems to be able to manage it -  when sending all the garbage we don't want - why not our much more important emails?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Siouxsie77 

A quick update from me - I've just tested with BT Mail and for that non-displayed pinned tab I'm seeing a light green dot underneath the BT favicon logo to indicate a new message has arrived. Also the tool-tip message when the pointer is hovered over the tab is showing Inbox (1) for a new unread message. So, Firefox on Windows 11 appears to be working exactly as expected with BT Mail.

My diagnosis therefore, based on this limited testing, is that The TalkTalk Mail (Open Xchange) push notification service is not working or the configuration has been changed.

Message 11 of 14

OK, perfect feedback. Different devices and browser but exactly the same issue(s). That's very helpful. I've also confirmed that the operating system and browser both allow notifications.

For home email use you can safely ignore the advice from TalkTalk about not keeping the Inbox open / not keeping signed in on a non-displayed tab. When I'm using my notebook I will have TalkTalk Mail signed in all the time on a non-displayed tab so I absolutely agree with you that not getting an indication of new messages / notification is not helpful.

NB I only keep TalkTalk Mail signed in on a device directly under my control not on any public or shared devices which might be TalkTalk's  concern of course. TalkTalk is very security minded for the benefit of customers.

We can raise the absence of notification as an issue. The only problem is that it'll be deemed a low priority for investigation as it's not something major like a loss of service fault.

Do you currently use Gmail's desktop browser version and does that show notifications on tabs for new messages? Just wondering as knowing if Gmail works on the same setup would be useful comparative information.

Message 12 of 14

Thank you for your reply.

I mostly use a chromebook and use Google Chrome browser.

Yes, I too have a pinned tab that used to display a new email (and it was fast) - but now nothing.

So when I am working on loads of open tabs (as usual) I have to keep going into TalkTalk to see if I have any emails.

I was so used to being told about the new ones - that I forget to look - and miss important emails.

My settings are the same - being registered for notifications (even for a bell sound - which never worked).

Also, the new  layout for emails is awful - and I cannot see new ones unless I click on the IN BOX as they only rarely display as numbers. A person from TalkTalk said I shouldn't keep the IN BOX open!!

I contacted TalkTalk - and they said it must be my fault as no one else has this problem - which is the usual answer. I am so glad the problem really does exist - but is there an answer?

I am so fed up with TalkTalk that I am now informing my contacts - and I shall be using gmail instead - if there is no solution.

Kind regards

Sue

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

Hi Siouxsie77 

Great question and I confirm I'm aware of a change to email notifications but haven't investigated as yet.  I'll tell you what I'm seeing, my setup and what I used to see until a week or so back.

First I'm using Windows 11 and the Firefox browser 124.0.1.  I usually have TalkTalk Mail signed in on a pinned tab and that non-displayed tab used to indicate visually when new mail had arrived. I no longer see that indicator. When the tab is selected and displayed the normal indicator that the mailbox has unread content is a red dot to the top right of the mail app icon. That indicator still does appear. But there's no indicator on the browser tab itself.

So, the first thing is for you to confirm your setup and if I've accurately described the issue.

0 Likes